Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Release Dates.

Options
  • 19-08-2003 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Why is it that with PC games the release date between USA and Europe is like a couple of days at most, but most Console Release's take like 3-6 months to get here. I can only think of one thing that is the Hype the Americans will cause and make everyone over here want to buy it, Also if u have ever bought a PC game from the states it comes in a Small Cardboard box (Which i love best), well over here we get ****ty plastic ones and no CD Jewel Case :( .

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Firstly I think that it is illegal now to use so much packaging and that is the reason for the dvd boxes. They're also cheaper.

For console games publishers have to do a PAL conversion of the games. American and Japanese games run on NTSC display mode which is 60Hz instead of europes Pal which is at 50Hz and the games run at a lower resolution. I don't mind too much if a decent job of a PAL conversion is done but when it takes 9 months for a game like FFX to come out after the yankie release and all they do is slap dirty great big borders on then it annoys me. A monkey could have done a better PAL conversion. It really is down to lazy publishers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    A monkey could have done a better PAL conversion. It really is down to lazy publishers.

I really doubt a monkey could have done a better job. A million monkeys however, might eventually do a better job.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

it was the best of times, it was the blurst of times...

BAH WHAT IS THIS RUBBISH!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    It really is down to lazy publishers.

It's just like films in cinema or on DVD/video it makes it easier/cheaper to promote and produce (the DVDs etc).

BTW I think DVD cases are a life saver - they can be stored and transported easily and don't get broken as easily as card board boxes or CD cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah, I have bad memories of cardboard cases with the Nintendo 64. They got crushed too easily.

But anyone see the Japanese Gamecube cases? They kick ass.

• Advertisement
Advertisement