Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for some info on this Card

Options
  • 19-08-2003 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at different specs for laptops and when it comes to graphics the most common is GF go 440 or the Ati radeon 9000 series.Was wondering if anyone knows much about this one "ATI RADEON IGP 345M"
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

As far I as I know, that's one half (specifically, the northbridge) of ATi's attempt at an nForce-type mobo chipset with integrated 3D video; the 34x family are for Intel whereas the 32x family are for AMD.

As far as I'm aware, these puppies use shared (rather than dedicated) memory, that's bad on so many levels...

The earlier 320M/340M used Radeon 7000/VE-based cores, so I can't imagine the 345M (being on the market since early 2002) is much better, if you have 3D at the top of your agenda...

HTH,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks for that,I am hoping to get a desktop replacement as we do not have a spare room anymore since junior arrived so I was looking for a laptop with an all round package and as you say something that will do 3D gaming.I know Nivida and Ati are the main players so can you advise on what spec chip to look out for from both brands
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

3D chipsets, especially the more powerful ones, tend to be awfully hungry for power; if, as you say, a desktop replacement-type machine is what you're looking for, that's hardly a problem.

I'm not really the person to ask, as I don't really play 3D games (can't track all the action, or something) but I'd imagine anything with a Mobility Radeon 9000/9100 or the newly-released 9600, or perhaps the Geforce FX 5200GO/5600GO (with each of those lists in order of increasing performance) should be right up your alley.

Also, make sure that they come with dedicated (rather than shared) memory.

HTH,
    Gadget

Advertisement