Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ever been asked for your Driving Licence?

Options
  • 19-08-2003 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The law regarding carrying your driving licence on ones person
    has been up and running for months now, so I thought I'd ask has anyone been requested by a Garda to show thier licence when stopped or at the scene of an accident.

I'm on the roads 4 days a week and so far not a dickybird. Of course if I left it at home....

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Haven't seen a checkpoint in ages....

Seen a few hairdryers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

been waved through about 3 checkpoints in the last few months. Didn't even have to stop the car.

So no licence from me

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

yeah pretty much the same, not many checkpoints around at the mo, loads of hairdryers though, especially at weekends. why o why do we have to have such large licences inthis country too, whats wrong with credit card sized ones!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

There seems to be loads of check points in the City Centre these days I've come across quite a few in recent weeks haven't been asked for my licence though once the Tax and Insurance disks are in order they just wave you on through.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Redshift
    once the Tax and Insurance disks are in order they just wave you on through.

That has happened to me at least 50 times over the last few years. Day or night (using a torch) they look briefly at your face (presumably to check if your p*ssed) and then at tax/insurance/nct. If that's ok you hardly even need to stop the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

In my 5 years of driving, I've only been asked once, on the outskirts of Dundalk at 1am, told the bloke that I couldn't find it and he waved me on.

PS (only had provisional at the time).

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Last time I was asked was at 11am on O'Connell Avenue in Limerick around last Christmas time. My insurance disk was 5-6 days out of date so I'd assume that's why he stopped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

have been stopped at check points a few times and never asked, they jus check the insurance and tax disk and nct disk, (too ****in many disks, i've only a small windscreen + that L that i'll probally never get rid of, waiting like 9months now for test...lalala), and then on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I've noticed a few checkpoints in the city centre, but only at evening times at about 8 or 9pm, usally on Dawson street, but I've never been asked for my licence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

In the past before the law change......

3 times. twice when I had no tax I was asked to present my licence and insurance cert

and on another occasion when I was cautioned for driving like an idiot.

Since the new law I have only been through 2 checkpoints and only stopped at one. The guard needed to see my licence to write the ticket for no tax.

a few more hairdryers the last 2 weeks alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Once about 5 years ago when i had no tax on the car, (t'was in the post(that evening)) actually had the licence to hand so saved a trip to the station.

I see speed traps about twice a week on the youghal to cork road though... i'd imagine that if you didn't have the licence with you if caught for speeding/other driving offence you'd be in bigger trouble.

Mike

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I was on Dawson St (Dublin) on the saturday of the Bank Holiday weekend. Around 3pm. The guards had a checkpoint and they were asking Taxi Drivers to show their badges and others to show their licences.

We did notice that when asked for a licence it was only necessary to reach for the glovebox or back pocket for the guard to say "thats ok". It looks like they only wanted to see if people did have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

When are they bringout these licences with the magnetic strip on them?
    I hate carrying mine around as they're big, made of paper so they don't wear too well and it's got your name, address etc on them.

Very handy if someone breaks into your car and finds it in the glove compartment (I carry mine with me though) They know where you live and so can rob your house too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Yeah you're probably right, thieves couldn't find a house to rob unless they got an address first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Only been asked for my license once, when I was stopped for speeding. :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Drive most days and have never been stopped over the past 2 years I've been driving.

I agree that they should issue credit card licenses to drivers though if they expect them to be carried at all times. The paper ones just aren't gonna last and are too damned big! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

4 times in the last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Only once, when I was involved in a fender bender.
    I don't think they'll stop you to check if you have a licence, but if your insurance/tax is out or your caught speeding they will ask for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

first week the law came into force I was stopped at Liffey Valley Shopping Centre and asked for my Licence (which I had).
    It was freezing cold and the poor bastard who had been sent out to do it was turning blue.

As the window closed I suggested he had been a naughty boy and had been sent out on this detail because he pissed off someone......he muttered something I didn't quite catch because the warmth of the car and the commentary from the footie game on the radio drowned him out.

some days are diamonds ;-) as Mr. Petty said

Since then I've been waived through a few checkpoints and not a query about my license. methinks it's just a law that's gonna be used to nail someone while they get them on something more serious that they can't prove....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 greenday chick

everytime im stopped im asked for it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

Originally posted by greenday chick
    everytime im stopped im asked for it:rolleyes:

and?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 greenday chick

and!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i was answering the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I always offer it before they ask. If they are looking for an excuse to do you for something, it gives them a second or two to realise that you arent on a provisional.

They hate provisional drivers i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I get asked for my drivers licence more times at nightclubs than by the Boys in Blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

Yup, got stopped for routine check last saturday, and I didn't have it with me. I asked the Garda if it is compulsory to have it one you when driving, he said that it is since 1st of Jan 2003

Advertisement