Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Work Visa -Netware

• 19-08-2003 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently in the past , having Novell Netware certification was enough to automatically qualify for a Canadian work visa right away.

Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Am very much looking to emigrate at this point for many reasons all probably covered on boards many times so wont bore with the details.

I'm a couple of exams short of MCSE (which will be completed in the next couple of months), however while it helps me in my current job, isnt getting me any closer to owning a house and having a decent standard of living..phone monkey work is all that seems to be available atm moment (which i currently do :( )

Studying for Novell certification seems like it would be worthwhile if it helps make me more employable in another country..hence the Canadian visa question.

Is this myth or is it fact?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭casper-

Short answer - unfortunately, no.

For that matter, I almost positive that was never the case -- coming to work in Canada is only slightly less difficult than the US unfortunately.

Ii'm not sure what you do for work, but for the most part here (in Canada) job experience o****s for more than Novell / MCSE. They are nice to have, and definitely valuable if you are a contractor though.

Can I ask why you're trying to come to Canada to work? There's not even enough work for those of us who are still here :)

Actually did you have a city in mind to move to? Toronto actually weathered the IT bust pretty well with all the banks and large firms there. Ottawa, on the other hand, did not do well at all (that's where I was living)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 buckley

Contact mr moher at canadian embassy dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Originally posted by jedidjab79
    Actually did you have a city in mind to move to? Toronto actually weathered the IT bust pretty well with all the banks and large firms there. Ottawa, on the other hand, did not do well at all (that's where I was living)

Montreal cought my eye (ex gf migrated there years ago, we still keep up contact), second was Toronto as i've relatives there, other than that i've itchy feet and want to try find work in a country where i stand a hope in hell of owning my own apartment/house and have a better standard of living than here, which by all accounts Canada has.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

That looks really interesting, thanks for the link!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Years ago, when my brother moved to Canada, someone told me the following:

If one of your grandparents was born pre 1922, while Ireland was still part of the Britland, you can apply for a British passport and British passport holders have a hell of an easier time getting into Canada/Australia/New Zealand then Irish passport holders do.

Not sure how true that is, or even if it is true whether it's of any help to you.

V interesting, my mothers side of the family all come from NI and as such am entitled to a UK passport afaik...will look into that.

Originally posted by Longfield
    Montreal cought my eye (ex gf migrated there years ago, we still keep up contact), second was Toronto as i've relatives there, other than that i've itchy feet and want to try find work in a country where i stand a hope in hell of owning my own apartment/house and have a better standard of living than here, which by all accounts Canada has.

Ahh ... I wouldn't live in Quebec at all unless you paid my 100,000/year :) Toronto is pretty much the safest bet at least in trying to find some sort of job. The public transportatation system is ok -- but unless you're planning to commute at least an hour to work, you're not going to be owning _anything_ in Toronto. That's the one good thing about Ottawa (and most of Quebec) - you can drive for about fifteen minutes out of town, get into the countryside, and find a reasonably priced house for maybe 150k or so.

I'm not sure if it's the same in Ireland - but credit reports are a pretty big thing in Canada. For instance, when you go to open a bank account for the first time, they will put a hold on anything you deposit over, say, 1000 for seven days. Can be very annoying when you first arrive, unless you are getting direct deposits done from your place of work.

I'm not sure about the British passport thing .. in general though, the only normal ways to work in Canada are to

a) get married to a canadian (v. easy)
    b) sponsor yourself (takes a while, and you need to have skills and cash)
    c) start a business (which requires 500,000)

The USIT link is pretty interesting -- but I'm 99% sure that you won't be able to stay there after the visa is up. It'd be cool if you just want to get away for a while and work in a different country though. It used to be that you could get one of the big companies in Ottawa (say Corel, Nortel, Newbridge, etc) to bring you over on a visa and then after three years living in the country you were fine. Unfortunately, with the downturn, I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a company that would do that now unless you have some special skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

canada is actually a pretty easy country to get into. a friend of mine immigrated there a few years ago. they have a simple points-based rating system, and each year the matrix is being published, and the treshold is determined - in terms of how many points do you need to score to get a visa. it's 75 points at the moment, it used to be lower.

you should check out their web site:
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/

there are financial requirements - you need to be able to support yourself for 6 months, so they're looking of a proof of funds - $9420 in your bank account. you don't need this if you have employment arranged in canada.

you can take a self-assesment test to find out if you qualify:
    http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html

it took my friend more time to save up the 10 grand than it took him to get through all the paperwork. :)

• Advertisement

Man - they keep changing the rules all the time. They were supposed to seriously tighten immigration laws 3-4 years ago, and then your points post just reminded me that I read a few days ago they were dropping it to 67. I'm not sure what they're trying to do now ... :P I'm surprised the points system has gotten so easy to qualify for and the amount of cash you need has dropped -- I wonder when that happened.

At any rate - good luck with the whole adventure :) Let us know how it goes!

Originally posted by netman
    canada is actually a pretty easy country to get into. a friend of mine immigrated there a few years ago. they have a simple

I'm curious .. what city is he living in? What about finding work? Is he enjoying himself, or planning to move back to his home country ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

he's living in mississauga, landed a job with nintendo as a team leader, developing the games for their consoles.

it's been about 3-4 years now since he moved, we've kinda lost touch, i moved to ireland, he moved to canada (we're both from croatia).

i know he's not dreaming of ever coming back, he got a job pretty quickly and moved there with his wife and they're both settled in.

personally, if i were you i'd consider europe first, you don't need to go through any red tape, no work permits, residence permits and all that crap. and you're close to home, i mean ryanair flies to most european destinations for next to nothing. maybe you've thought about that already :)

Advertisement