Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Digiweb Wireless

Options
  • 19-08-2003 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

I was happy to see that Digiweb had Trim on their site as a pre-launch area. I contacted them and was delighted to hear that it’s going live in a few weeks. :)

My only thing is the problem we have in Ireland, products never seem to be as promised. If anyone is using Digiweb's wireless service in any of the other areas and wouldn’t mind letting me know of any gripes, if any with the service, I’d be grateful.

Looking forward to telling Eircom that if they want their phone back its on the street,
    K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I also live in Trim and have been patiently waiting for Digiweb to go live.

I have been told by an Eircom engineer that the local exchange has all the gear in for ADSL but it needs to be connected (whatever that means). I bet if it rains at all it will pour :D

Where in Trim are you Krouc?

To your point. Digiweb have been slagged off here on boards before for their satellite service. I noticed that they have contributed to a thead here (how do I insert the link?) They have gone very quiet very quickly tho' which is a bit worrying.

Anyway I'll give them a go if they hurry up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Valentia
    I
    To your point. Digiweb have been slagged off here on boards before for their satellite service. I noticed that they have contributed to a thead here (how do I insert the link?) They have gone very quiet very quickly tho' which is a bit worrying.

(Find the thread and copy the URL from the top into a new message )

PM the user CeePee ... the Digiweb head geezer and ask him to comment on this thread. If he is not using a VSAT for backhaul then ye should be OK

M

Thanks Muck.

The original thread is here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=109771

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

My major concern would be the cost -- cheapest package is over 54 euros a month. Bandwidth should be great; they are a web hosting company primarily and thus have a bunch of fast leased lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Krouc

Well I have spoken to a few Eircon drones over the last few years and gotten responces that ranged from;

"Are you from the press?"
    "Yeah in about 5 years" (about 3 years ago)
    "No, they aint gonna spend money, just going to milk what they can"

And put that together with all the other Eircon crap I have experienced personally and read here, I dont want anything from them.

What I like about digiweb is the technology being used, the cap and its not Eircom. Having after experienced the real world and technologies while in the US I cant suffer this 56krap. The price is a bit high but in the US it was about $50 all in every month (Modem rent & monthly sub). There wasnt a cap and installation was free. GOD BLESS COMPETITION!

But this is Ireland and need I say more. Its digiweb or the 'low-56k-road' Te install fee is a rip off but its a case of 'tough'.
    What I hoping to find was a few peeps that are currently using the service and could commecnt on the Quality Of Service and such. When signing up for a fixed term and spending money on getting it installed, it would be great to have some customer rants/raves.

To be honest the only gripe I have is the cap but lets not start that convo again. I'll be paying more than in the US and getting less. It's the Irish way!

Plus I cant get a service from Eircon, cant wait till I rip the cable off the side of my house and toss the phone out on the street.
    Krouc

• Advertisement

cant wait till I rip the cable off the side of my house and toss the phone out on the street.

& Digiweb have the solution to that. Pray tell!

Did you read the other posts above? I don't get where you're comong from. Who's asking you to touch Eircom?

The USA is a great place surely!! NOT
    What I like about digiweb is the technology being used

Why????

I wish they would communicate a small bit more here.
    The price is a bit high but in the US it was about $50 all in every month

Jazus have we been misled then... $50? Sounds like all the stories about the States have been "slightly" exagerated. That's even dearer than here.

Can't believe that. Sorry.

Where in Trim are you then? Sorry for repeating myself

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Are Digiweb not a satellite broadband provider, i.e. avaliable all over Ireland??
    I know they were granted BMW funding for a wireless hotspot in Virginia, Cavan!

thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

thegills, DigiWeb also provide wireless Internet access, see here: http://wireless.digiweb.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ceepee

Hi there. on the vsat backhaul question - no, for our wireless networks we use wireless or fibre/copper backhaul. At present we focus on vsat installations as being best suited to individual customer applications (one company, one school, whatever) .. particularly in rural or low population areas. We plan to continue rolling out our wireless services in population centres.

that said, we'll continue to examine the concept and viability of vsat backed networks with a view to using in very small or remote locations, using higher end gear than the individual site vsat - this may be where previous attempts have cut one too many corners (you really can't connect a whole town to a Eur 99 satellite service!). South West Broadband are conducting a number of their own pilots and report some success in combining both technologies (http://www.swra.ie/broadband/ )

we'd like to keep more up to date with discussions here - time often doesn't allow however. Nearly missed this entire thread for example!!

on the rollouts - we are factoring in the responses from the site (http://wireless.digiweb.ie/preregister.asp) to our rollout plans so please do let us know if you're somewhere sitting waiting for broadband! :-)

CP

PS: Oh! don't throw out your phone just yet .... we're unlikely ever to offer phone services .... not for some time at least ;-)

we are factoring in the responses from the site

The site does say to register interest for towns not mentioned. So I presume there is no need to express an interest in Trim as it is on the list?

Any idea when Trim will be up and running. I think it was about 3 or 4 months ago that 6 weeks was mentioned to me?

Thanks for replying BTW :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by ceepee
    we'd like to keep more up to date with discussions here - time often doesn't allow however. Nearly missed this entire thread for example!!
    Easy to miss things - sometimes it's a fast-moving forum. Obviously we welcome your input whenever you feel like it. Like a few other companies that participate here, there appears to be no BS from you (a good thing obviously!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Valentia
    Any idea when Trim will be up and running. I think it was about 3 or 4 months ago that 6 weeks was mentioned to me?

One fervently hopes that a Digiweb '6 weeks' is NOT the same as an IBB '2 months'

M

Advertisement