Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tank building...

Options
  • 19-08-2003 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

I don't mean a sherman either..:D not just yet !!

I'm going to build a Glass fish tank 48" wide by 12" deep by 20" high

It might be considered narrow but I do have plenty of air available.

Has anyone here built a tank & got any pointers for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Its a hell of a lot cheaper than buying Jewel But the main thing is when you are building it make sure you use Proper Aquarium Silicone to seal the joints or you will have a very wet Room and Dead Fish.

Let me know How its getting on

any Buy the way you dont know any one thats in to Large fish

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

Sorry, I don't know anyone into large fish

I'll keep you posted on the tank building

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I build all my own Tanks for the Tarantulas I keep.Ok they`re fairly small the largest being probably 24 inches tall by 12x 12.The way I do it is to make them in a wooden frame.
    Yours is 48x12x20 so youll have 3 sheets which are this size(2 sides and bottom and 2 sheets which are 12x 20 each.

So it works like this.

Lay the bottom sheet on a totally flat surface.Get the 2 upright sections lined up with the edge of this sheet.Get a length of floor board(I use it because it has a wide enough height to support the glass until the silicon dries)
    Cut the wood into a frame AROUND the lined up sheets but make 2 of these frames with the dimensions EXACTLY the same.Now get the 2 uprights standing in the bottom frame resting on the base sheet(I get someone to hold them while I carry out the next bit)

Silicon both uprights along the edges where they meet the base.Next get the other frame and line it up near the top part of the glass sheets which you have in place already.Get another length of wood and screw it to the 2 frames(on the outside) joining them vertically to each other.

So you now have a frame in which you can put in your 2 side sheets.If all the measurements are correct then everything should slide into place (fairly) squarely.Then silicon al the edges INSIDE the tank.When all has set then silicon the outside of the tanks and hopefully it should be water tight and very sturdy.

Im in the process of making a fairly large tank which is roughly the same size as yours and this method seems to be the simplest way of doing it.

Hope this helps
    Richie.

Advertisement