Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psoriasis

• 19-08-2003 11:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Guess I'm not the only one, but I suffer from psoriasis and I've tried a lot of the remedies, cures and medical advice.

Anyone got any good experiences from any type of treatment??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

it depends on the type you have,
    if it is allergy related or excemae or stress realted.

Mine is stress related and well all the creams potions and lotions
    will not clear it up if I am still stressed.

Have you been allergy tested ? it could be something simple that sparks an out break that you could aviod.

UV treatment is the new thing for it but not much hlep you you tend to burn to a crisp like I do .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've got some on the scalp - nothing too bad, but people keep thinking it's dandruff! :) Something like Polytar shampoo is good for it, but I don't really bother cause it doesn't annoy me in the least. It's a heridtory condition by the way - my dad had it and most of his side of the family have it in some way or another.

An ex of mine had really, really bad psoriasis all over her body (which was sometimes very off-putting). I'd seen photos of her as a little girl completely wrapped in bandages like a Mummy! She recently had UV treatment done and she's spot on now - no blotchy bits of skin or flakes all over her clothes, so it works! I think it was everyday for a couple of weeks - I could ask her more about it if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I got it about 70% all over. Had it down to about 10% after PUVA (UV) treatment, but it came back within six months.

I've tried a few "quacks" and a few medical lotions, creams, shampoos etc. At the moment I just keep it moisturised with a cream and it keeps it soft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

What's the story with the UV treatment? Is it like getting on a sun-bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

sort of. i think coal tar has to be used with the u.v. not sure if its needed for all cases though. Its used to strip the upper dermal layer of your skin so that the u.v. can kill the psoriasis (so ye dont get a tan either !).

my psoriasis only came out when i was 19. got it real bad that summer. In adidtion to the u.v. treatment i had to cover all the psoriasis in coal tar, a god awful substance that destroys all your bed closthes, pillows and self esteem. its also extremely unpleasant smelling and in texture. The treatment lasted 3 weeks, for what started out as 1 min U.V and then built up to 5.
    It was quite a depressing experience, i was just glad it was between college terms. There is no way i could have gone to college and go through the whole ritual or covering myself in tar especially seeing as how i need one of my parents to my sisters to put it on my back. wow, its depressing me just thinking back on it :(

Luckily it cleared up and havent had it as any near as bad since. I have a bit on my scalp but keeping my hair short and using head&shoulders seems to keep it under control. I get a bit around my nose and on my chest when i get run down or stressed but its not too bad and goes after a week or so.

I heard of a product called dermazinc that is supposed to work brilliantly on getting rid of flare ups of it and excemae but havent used it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

My experience of the UV treatment - PUVA

I got it at Waterford Regional Hosp[ital - 2 days a week for about three months.

They put you in a bath for about fifteen minutes with a substance that makes your skin accessible to UV light. You gotta wear glasses to protect your eyes from splashes.
    There is an alternative to the bath - thats taking tables a few hours before tretamnent - but avoid these are they have serious side effects - possibility of liver damage, vomiting, aches and pains, headaches, the list goes on - and you gotta wear glasses for hours or days.

Anyway, after the bath they put you standing in a UV chanber - like a shower with steel doors. You wear glasses to protect your eyes and they turn the light on for a set number of seconds or minutes depending on your condition. Then they put you back in the bath for a quick rinse. the water is mixed with some type of moisturiser. They tell you to take baths at home with something similar, and cover yourself with emulsifying cream rather than a tar based solution.

In and out within half an hour. The lenght of the treament depends on your condition. They told me at least two days a week. When I was finished I had removed about 60% of the problem - but within 6 months it was spreading again - but it works for some people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has anyone tried goats milk? I know of ppl who swear by it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Psoriasis+goats+milk&sourceid=opera&num=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Mike.

Advertisement