Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clear cases

Options
  • 19-08-2003 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

I know the clear cases look cool with all the lights an dowackeys, but will they not become filthy with dust and look gammy after a year of use, opened my case after a year and it was full of dust and spiders I'm sure an all plastic case would increase the risks of static damage and EM interferance? any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Keep it clean you dirty boy.

I give mine a good hover every month or two. Though i usually end up doing it as im installing something new or changing something around inside every month or so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

^ lol is that not dangerous for your components?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

im sure he's very concious as we all r ,anti-static ands and tiny novelty hoovers all round, methinks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

But what of EM interferance? For the love of God, won't someone pleeeeease think of the EM interferance!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

its better to ignore such potential issues and hope they either go away or better still, never rear their ugly head in the first place :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭jow

Originally posted by Spacedog
    But what of EM interferance? For the love of God, won't someone pleeeeease think of the EM interferance!!!!!:eek:
    Hi,

the interferance can be a big issue!

I don't now how the officials handle it in Ireland, but back in Germany it was enough when you disturb your neighbours television (and the chance that you do that which such a case are not very low ;)) and "they" come and get you! :D

The fine is not funny (around 2000.- Euro).

That is the reason why such cases are normally sold with the description "for show purposes only!".

The second thing is that the EM interferance can be harmful to the human body. When magazines test cases, they normally do a EM-shielding test and the good cases keep the radiaton inside. It is enough to leave the case open and you have the same results you get with an acrylic case. But I think the "experts" are not sure how the EM radiation damages the human body. Maybe Winters can tell us more ;)

jow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I was refering more to external EM fields disrupting the operations of the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

you need to construct a faraday cage of some kind.

Acrylic cases look really, really shit in my opinion. Plus, they don't endow me with a sense of confidence as to their ability to stand up to general use, not to mention a good kicking when going to lans/moving it about.

I like a good steel case, solid material to work with, easy to find tools for modding, very similar to working with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I was the same with regards steel, my own case being a mammoth supermicro sc760a full tower, barely liftable or movable without a bit of effort :)

but after recently building a pc using an aluminium dragon case, and seeing how light it is and easy to throw around, i felt it was finally time to change. Should have a lian li pc-75 coming in on monday =)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

I look forward to hearing what you think of it because I was thinking of getting one.

But aren't you scared of the massive EM pulse generated by the case which may knock out all the electricity in western europe and reducing our economies back to the stone age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

As far as EMI is concerned in a clear case it is the same as an aluminium case as aluminum is not ferromagnetic . So the aluminium wont stop EMI just like a clear case.

really is that so, thank you for your input, can you tell when people are being sarcastic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I have had problems with EMI interferring with my monitor putting it wobbley and shaky. Putting my case furher away stopped it if i had some better shielding i wouldn't have had to move it.
    Yes i know that there was a lot of sarcasm just thought people might like to know that fact .

i bet the same would happen with a metal case? do you know what component was causing it?

Advertisement