Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a Dell Dimension 8200??

• 20-08-2003 2:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭

I've got an 8200. 1.8ghz 400mhz bus on an intel 850 with 256mb of Rambus800.

I can either get a powerleap adapter thingie for around €150-200 and a max of a 2.6ghz 400mhz bus P4 for about €250 and another 256 of rambus 800 for €105 bringing the total to about €550

---or----

I can get a new mobo with probably a 2.8ghz on an 800mhz bus and 512mb of 2700/3200 DDR memory for €550.

The thing is that this way will mean having to fork out for a new copy of xp as the Dell OEM XP I have is tied to the Dell mobo bios. Komplett have a couple of xp home versions. Retail is €270 and OEM €105. Whats the differance?? Is it worth paying extra for a new copy of windows so that I can replace the entire internals of my Dell with faster and more upgradable components or should I go the powerleap rambus etc upgrade route which will keep me going for another year or two and then just buy a new PC.

Either way, I'll be getting a new graphics card as well around the 200-250 mark. I had settled on an FX5600 but have read some bad reviews. I hadn't considered the radeon 9/5/6/7/000 because I thought they were old cards but it seems they are comparable or exceed the 5600. What do you lot recommend keeping in mind I'd like to run HL2&Doom3 (you knew I was going to say that didn't you :D) at full or very close to full detail.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Anyone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I'd go with a new mobo, CPU & Ram. (Dump the Rambus and get DDR)
    Here's my recommendation:
    Abit IS7 mobo
    P4 2.4c 800Mhz fsb
    2x256 DDR400

You'll get all that for under €500 and should be able to O/Clock it to 3GHz easily with stock cooling.

The extra money for 2.6, 2.8, 3.0 & 3.2 isn't worth it unless you really don't want to O/C your cpu.

As for GFx, either a Radeon 9800 Pro or an FX5900 should run Doom3 comfortably. I'm sure there'll be new cards from ATI & Nvidia before HL2 (probably 2 before Doom3) so I'm waiting until the last moment before upgrading.
    I can run anything at 1024x768 on my GF3 so there's no immediate rush.

Cheers m8 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

erm the difference is miminal between the retail and the oem versions of windows xp home.

Retail: is boxed in a lovely box comes with big manual of windows
    OEM: is not boxed all you get is a cd and your COA (sticker that gives you your cd-key)

thats the only difference except for the price one! :)

also remember with dell they do not like ppl upgrading themselves so if you buy a new motherboard your gonna have to buy a new case. dell make there cases differently to other ppl so that only their motherboards will fit in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

DANGER Will Robinson!

Do not plug your Dell PSU into a standard ATX board. You run the risk of frying the new board.
    As was said above, you will need a new case...

But, why upgrade? A 1.8GHz processor is more than most hardcore gamers have. Sire buy a new graphics card and another 256MB but that's all you need...

mi2c. tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

I agree with tribble. Does 1.8 ghz feel slow to you? Buy a new graphics card, see how your games are then. If you still think its slow, well you can upgrade the rest of the pc then. Right now, your graphics card is probably letting you down. I think dell have gone back to the standard atx psu, that needs to be double checked though.

tbh i wouldn't trust dells psu by a long shot dell as a company are well dodgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Yep learned the hard way with dell cases. Unless u get a mini atx board it should fit and more than likely a new gfx card wont suit your mobo if its from dell.

Id go with the new mobo idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

Sell the Dell?

You'd probably get over €500 for what is a relatively new machine... stick your €550 that you have allocated on to that and you have €1100 or so... more than enough to build a fast new machine... simply get a cheapish CPU (AMD Barton 2500 are only €100) which you ca upgrade in a few months when the price comes down. THe AMD 64bit CPU will be out in 3 or 4 months - the Bartons should fall significantly by then?

Given the apparent hassles you could face with upgrading the dell (I haven't heard of any such problems, I build my own machines AND I work for Dell) it may be the better way to go...

• Advertisement

I thought I read somewhere that minimum spec for the oft aforementioned HL2/Doom3 etc was going to be 2ghz which I thought meant you needed that just to run on low detail. Up till I read that somewhere I did just intend to upgrade my ti200 and ram.

I was going to order the ram and card from komplett. Anywhere else I should maybe get them from?? I'd really only like to spend a max of €250 on the card, so that rules out a 5900 or a 9800pro. So should I go for a 5600ultra or a 9600/700/pro??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

D the hl2 test then you will know what the minimum spec is req http://www.half-life2.org.uk/check.php

:ninja: :ninja:
    get another case heard some dodgy story's bout people upgrading their dell using the same dell Psu:eek: there not good story's:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

keep the case and change the power supply, dell cases are quite nice. You'll also need to rig the switches and lights since thats none standard as well. but there loadss on the web on how to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

If u are to upgrade your psu u will have to do some diy on your case (get the hacksaw out) as a new psu will have a male and female connector. As dell cases only have a hole for one connector.

Advertisement