Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19" Tft

• 20-08-2003 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

komplett are selling a 19" TFT for only €555.
    i was woundering is this a good deal. The responce time is not that good(25ms)
    but then the 19 inichs makes up for that + its dvi.
    Do u think it would be good for gaming, for eg HL2, which uses
    a lot of colour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭MoSeS_.

<bump>
    Has anyone been able to find any reviews on this monitor, or better yet, has anyone had any first hand experience with it ?
    Price seems too good to be true
    </bump>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'm using an 18" Compaq TFT at home that's listed as having a 25 or possibly even 30ms response and I can't say I've ever noticed any blurring or ghosting on it whether watching dvds and divxs or playing games like Vice City, BF1942, Unreal 2, Splinter Cell or anything for that matter.
    I think, I haven't fully researched this theory, the mistake most people make is equating response time with refresh rates and FPS. The design of a TFT is such that each pixel is lit independently and stays lit until it is told otherwise. It does not begin to fade until the electron beam makes another pass at it (ooh err!). This means that only the pixels that have changed will be affected by the response time, not the whole display.

There's a good explanation of TFTs Here

Hope that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

so then the komplett 19" is a good deal cos i was worried about the responce time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

As I said I'm well chuffed with mine. Might be as well to get a few more opinions before forking out nearly 600 lids tho'.

Probably depends on the type of games you play too and the quality of display you're used to. See if any local computer shops have display models with 20, 25 and 30 ms responses and see if they will demo a game or a movie on it to give you an idea.

Also, I'm using DVI so I don't know if that improves matters.

Bet you're even more confused now! Sorry

yea dvi is good cos it has little error i.e there is no need for a A/Dc.

i wont have time to get to comp shop as iam workin business hours
    so does any one else have a LCD with a 25ms responce time?
    Might be as well to get a few more opinions before forking out nearly 600 lids tho'.
    its a weekly offer from komplett, so i dont think i'll get a 19" any where for only €555

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Hmm well I ordered one last night, will be paired with a 9800 Pro via DVI, I'll post a quick review/opinion when it arrives....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Different monitors with 25ms can give different performance. Although important, response time does not define how much smearing there will be on the monitor.

I have a 19" Planar with 25ms response time and have no smearing, it's a great monitor. But I've heard of others with different monitors that weren't so lucky.

The only way to find out is from experience. Either by reading reviews, hearing from others how the monitor works for them or seeing it in person.

I tried searching Google for reviews of that monitor (just quickly though) but couldn't find anything. Not sure if that's good or bad...

I too could not resist and splurged, should have it in a few days, will give a verdict before the week is out (9800 pro too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by clansman
    so does any one else have a LCD with a 25ms responce time?

Yup, although it's a silly money monitor. A sony SDM-S71 (17"). I've never had ghosting problems and I tend to crank up any game settings to their max settings (I have a GeForce 4 Ti4600 and an Audigy Platinum to help).

TBH, it cost a fortune, but my reasoning was that my eyeballs are going to be looking at this thing for quite some time, and I'd rather not be going blind if I could help it. So in that respect "money is no object - within reason"

MoSeS_. and Kali when ye get the monitor could ye run some games
    like Splinter Cell, UT, and see what ye get, cos splinter cell has a lot of colour changes and effects.... thanks

Lemming i read a review for a sony SDM-S71 (17") and it came first for gamming... its wort every penny, or i mean cent

• Advertisement

did any one get the monitor yet?
    whats it like? and good. its gone up to 593 now :(

nobody at home yesterday to get the delivery .. (booo) but should throw the machine together either later today or tomorrow though (assuming it comes today), expect a brief three-line opinion then :)

It's a bucket of **** for gaming :(
    Major ghosting on q3dm17 anyway
    The colours on my CRT look washy by comparison however.

ahh crap didnt wanna hear that.. q3 being the only game i ever play (thats seldom enough anyway).. although it'll be mostly used for design work and programming so might do the job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

to hell with that...ill get a 17" decent one instead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrownBoy

I got mine 2 days ago. I hv tried movies+tv on the monitor. It is excellent. Don't know about games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by clansman
    komplett are selling a 19" TFT for only €555.
    i was woundering is this a good deal. The responce time is not that good(25ms)
    but then the 19 inichs makes up for that + its dvi.
    Do u think it would be good for gaming, for eg HL2, which uses
    a lot of colour.

The price just went up

Fujitsu Siemens 19" LCD X19-1 TCO-99
    - VGA (D-sub),DVI-D,speakers ,inc. cables In stock:
    100+ 593.26

I was about to buy one earlier this week when it was 555 - but couldnt find a review anywhere.
    I'm mostly worried about two things:
    1. Ghosting - the odd few FPS Games I play I would like
    them to be at least as good as my Sony/Dell P991 monitor.
    2. Pixel Errors.

Komplett say they conform to class III
    - This means it can have 50 bad pixels per 1million pixels.
    before they would replace it . (aprox 1.2million pixels in this monitor)

I know there are manufacturing problems etc - but I'm only
    concerned about the finished item.

Did any of you who bought this monitor or any other from Komplett get any bad pixels?

ozmo.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 BrownBoy

I did not notice any dead pixels on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

I opted for the Samsung 191T from Komplett a month or two ago and it's the best monitor I've ever used. It claims a 25ms response and there is some minor redish ghosting in FPS games, but you don't really notice it. I've found no dead pixels or subpixels on the display. I use DVI to connect, but its VGA input offers very crisp output too. You'd be doing well to tell the difference.

iam kinda happy now that i didnt buy it cos i was just going to use it for gaming

• Advertisement
Advertisement