Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SVHOST.exe on winxp

Options
  • 20-08-2003 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Help!!!

How many svhost.exe should be running in processes on windows xp.??

My system started acting weird last night...going from 0% cpu usage up to a 100%....
    The system was going up and down all night...

I have norton firewall installed and norton anti virus 2003 uptodate, also windows patches are all up todate.....

When i checked the processes one of the svhost.exe was using nearly 100% cpu usage....get this .....when i ended this processes i got the warning message from the worm blaster virus

" Your system will reboot in 50, 49,48,47, etc"

Any help would be greatly appreciated

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Er, the reason you're getting that shutdown message is because you ended the svchost session responsible for the RPC service, not because of the virus.
    If you have the msblaster virus, it's quite easy to see - it shows up in the task manager.

If you're worried about what's running in your svchost.exe sessions, take a look at the registry key
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost
    for the listings.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

When you remove blaster turn on XP firewall

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

thanks lads for the advice!!!

I do have the firewall turned on in windows....and ideas why the system is acting like this all of a sudden????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Im getting the same thing right now.

Eneded a couple of the SVCHOST.EXEs (one that i dont remember having beofre) and the XP Blue theme gets removed and im back to the "Classic Windows" theme. Also it keeps coming back.

Odd one this.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dang - Autoruns from www.sysinternals.com don't pick up it.

(Apart from services, it does however pick up most other junk that autostarts.)

• Advertisement
Advertisement