Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3 at DS7

Options
  • 20-08-2003 9:45am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Alright lads

Quake3 is most likely going to be the major competition at DS7 as we want to bring back up the numbers and the players that we had at DS5. The prizes are still undecided but will be worth while don't worry ;)

Anyway, I want to know what format people would like out of the following.

4v4 TDM
    3v3 CTF
    4v4 CTF

It is undecided atm whether or not we will impose restrictions on team selections (ie. maximum of 2 seeded players per team). We want to hear your opinions on this also.

Please post your opinions lads, they matter more than the poll. It's too easy to rig ;)

Which format for the q3 at DS7 4 votes

4v4 TDM
    0% 0 votes
    3v3 CTF
    75% 3 votes
    4v4 CTF
    25% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

4v4 TDM

Or if the Numbers are Lacking, 2v2 TDM, but this might make it unfairer.

Yeah, an emphasis on Q3, none of this gayness with BF and CS.
    Basically the further BLuE-WinG is away the better.

I propose that people like Sam & Melachi should be made work for their prizes this time, so if you're crap, you automatically go on their team :)

So Mel Sam Eamo and Me on same team sounds fair.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

lmao, sounds fair to me Paul

I dont know what way we will do the teams tbh tho. Thats why I want opinions.

Actually, has any1 seen Jedi (Tom) around or did he elope after megalan again? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

4v4 ctf would be great... I watched the qcon 4v4 ctf tourney and had never seen q3 so entertaining since the BWEC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

sounds good, i cant be arsed voting. i dont care so long as its 4v4 and team based. duel would be good, but more people play for longer with team games. its more incusive. my team can carry me. thats as far as i go on being inclusive, no to random teams, i and others wont go if it is. i obviously want a good chance at winning. for the record, 3v3 is bent. we could have a post up here a few weeks in advance of the lan, with the full plan for the competitions, ds5 worked out ok in the end. but it did cause a lot of heartache and hairloss for mp which could have been avoided.

for example, how many pcs will be used for servers, which pcs will be used, what specs they are, what os, what other games will be loaded alongside, whether there are spare servers, what maps, patches and mods they have loaded, what server configs they have loaded, what number of teams, what files people need to download, what format the competition uses, what maps, what rules. maybe even the brackets for the tournament with blanks left for teams that will form at the lan. all this info in one post, right first time. a load of work for somebody else basically.

on the issue of prizes, its fairly obvious that the prizes need to be at the event in order to present them. sponsors are b*astards for commiting to giving prizes and then backing out of it afterwards. people got f*cked over at megalan and lots of other lans in the past. ds5 wasnt one of them though.

hi norm

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

dan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Originally posted by saik

for example, how many pcs will be used for servers, which pcs will be used, what specs they are, what os, what other games will be loaded alongside, whether there are spare servers, what maps, patches and mods they have loaded, what server configs they have loaded, what number of teams, what files people need to download, what format the competition uses, what maps, what rules. maybe even the brackets for the tournament with blanks left for teams that will form at the lan. all this info in one post, right first time. a load of work for somebody else basically.

As regards the balls up that I take responsibility for at DS5 - that will NOT happen again. For the q3 comp, we will have at least 5 dedicated servers, with only q3 running on them (for the duration of the competition). All boxes are running Linux (a well known Seattle company can stick their licensing fees up their ar$e). All patches will be the latest stable ones. No custom maps. Any files needed to patch people will be available on FTP. Sign up for the competition will be STRICTLY via the intranet ONLY - no exceptions. No. of teams will depend on those signing up. As we get closer, the finer details will be sorted out.

Any questions, just ask - you will usually get myself or Ronin on #darkside.ie

Bio

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

The os that'll be run will be linux, redhat distro eithe 8 or 9 I've yet to decide. Won't make a difference. As to spec's q3 will run on anything above a 500, naturally we'll be running it on alot more. Depending on numbers, we'll most likely take 2-3 of the dual box's we have, all have enough cpu and ram to run 3-4 servers on them without any load. Only Q3 will run on the Q3 servers for the duration of the comp. We'll do the same for all the comps, just reduce the number of dedicated box's back to 1 per game while a comp isn't running. So that'll easily cover us for any comp we run. They'll be running the latest point release and latest osp. All files will be available on the day for download off the local ftp, so make sure ye have an ftp client people, although i'll probs make things available via http as well seeing as alot of people don't seem to use ftp clients. Map rotation will be decided at a later date. As rich said u sign up via intranet, which'll have all the tournement details an allow us to run the comp nicely.

The same will be true of the rest of the comps we run at DS7

As to prizes being at the event thats a given.

Hope that answer's your questions.

Paul

I wonder can we get a QW server up.
    Most people who play Q3 play QW at some level.
    Can't beat a 4v4 QW TDM on DM3.

Of course there will be a QW server up - there always is ;)

Bio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

great thanks, much appreciated.
    one thing, custom maps are pretty much essential to a quake3 competition. especially ctf and tdm. the threewave map pack for ctf. the osp tdm maps (5 and 6) , along with cpm4 and dm14tmp are usually required for tdm. ztn3tourney1 is a duel map that is very very very popular. i suggest these files be loaded onto any server that runs q3 at the event. they are all available from the quake.ie ftp somewhere.

• Advertisement

Point taken - by custom maps I meant little known maps designed by somebody just for the hell of it. I wouldn't consider those maps you mentioned in this categorey, because they would be fairly well known.

And yes, they will all be available to download from our ftp server.

Bio

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Its filling up very quickly so get a move on lads. I only see Mel, zero, dest, mp and giblet the legend that he is signed up so far

get off your lazy arses lads

hmm, me and the Vin monster may have to share.... in order to get a lift there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Anyone willing to loan out a monitor to me for the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

4v4 ctf tourney... very nice - what about maps? You should start a new thread to discuss the maps to be played because theres a load of common online maps that I don't think would work well on LAN.

Sounds like a good idea - thread started

Bio

Advertisement