Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone actually know languages

Options
  • 20-08-2003 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

I can speak many languages, including Chinese

but
    is there a native Chinese speaker that can moderate and contribute to this forum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I don't know if Mirv is, but I'll have a talk with him soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Well you have one Cantonese speaker here :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭TetsuoHashimoto

Look I think it's great that this Board has made an Effort into Foreign languages, after all Ireland is an open and Global Economy, and it does get a lot of money from the EU.

English is a good langauge but it isn't that important, There are 255 Million people in the USA, but only 4 out of 5 are actually able to even speak English,
    others speak Spanish, Arabic, Cantonese or Italian

There are over 120 Million Cantonese speakers, and immigrants from China that have opened up shops and restaurant are mostly Cantonese people,
    the langauge section has been here for quiet a while now,
    but I see few speakers
    there are 500 Million native Spanish speakers, 190 Million Russian..
    surely more effort could be made to get more speaker of foreign languages???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

In fairness it is boards.ie
    How relevant is what you have said to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mous_Busy

i am a chinese,what can i do for you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ezpzie

There are supposedly 5000 chinese people in Ireland.. I'd mark it as higher than that. Also because of the number of chinese students shuffling to and from, tis a hard number to actually count.

I can count at least 100 chinese people in Galway, not a lot by all means, but it is when there were absolutely none a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ezpzie

My family can trace back to 30 years in Ireland... weird.. I can start a family tree from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

wow, that's an amazingly long time!

it seems to me that a lot of the staff in the chinese restaurants (of the a la carte variety) and shops are cantonese speakers. very similar to london ... are there many putonghua speaking businesspeople here? the corner shops, burger kings and fast food restaurants are full of mandarin speakers, but that must just be student job territory.

wow that is a very long time for a family to be in Ireland, infact too long, I'm 16 so my parents came to Ireland 18 years ago. That still is way too long.

• Advertisement
Advertisement