Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powercity

• 20-08-2003 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭

I find them very good on prices (mainly TVs) compared with the likes of Dixons. I know much of the main brands are about the same price, but i got a 32' Widescreen (not flat) there a while ago for around 500 euro, it was an Orion.

I heard that Powercity sell repaired TVs and not brand new ones, does anyone know if this is true? What i mean is if you buy a new Sony, and there is something wrong with it, you send it back to the shop, who send it back to Sony, who repair it and then sell it to Powercity at a lower price. Don't know if this is true, as i have never (touch wood) had any problems with anything i have bought from them.

In the age of rip off ireland i think more people should buy from them as aposed to the likes of Dixons/Currys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Powercity are ok but god help you if you change your mind and try to get a refund, or even if the TV or whatever is broken and you ask for a refund rather than a repair under warranty.

Powercity seem to have a policy of "no refunds" and never mind what the consumer acts say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

:eek: Didn't know that, they always give you a receipt and say that is your warrenty. Never had to bring anything back to them, but i will take it on board the next purchase i consider with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by bloggs
    I find them very good on prices (mainly TVs) compared with the likes of Dixons. I know much of the main brands are about the same price, but i got a 32' Widescreen (not flat) there a while ago for around 500 euro, it was an Orion.

I heard that Powercity sell repaired TVs and not brand new ones, does anyone know if this is true? What i mean is if you buy a new Sony, and there is something wrong with it, you send it back to the shop, who send it back to Sony, who repair it and then sell it to Powercity at a lower price. Don't know if this is true, as i have never (touch wood) had any problems with anything i have bought from them.

In the age of rip off ireland i think more people should buy from them as aposed to the likes of Dixons/Currys.

as far as i recall powercity always mark refurbished goods as just that. refurbished.
    i would say its false advertising to sell a used or refurbed TV without telling the consumer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Originally posted by MadsL
    Powercity are ok but god help you if you change your mind and try to get a refund, or even if the TV or whatever is broken and you ask for a refund rather than a repair under warranty.

Powercity seem to have a policy of "no refunds" and never mind what the consumer acts say.

god help you in dixons, too. it took me nearly 6 weeks of constant arguing to get a refund for a broken TV. bought it on saturday, brought it back on monday, and they wouldn't refund or replace it. i even offered to purchase a more expensive one and pay for the difference. once i got to speak to the manager they told me "i'm wasting their time" !

it's certainly not a store i'm ever going to go back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by bloggs

Usually thats true... but for some reason the Samsung Plasma is €4400 in PowerCity, and only €3200 from Richersounds (its out of stock now, but you can order from the UK one). Dixons\Currys are selling it for €4600 including a DSG exclusive media\connector\tuner box (most likely around €500 value).

Its a pity as Powercity were about the only place in Ireland that may of had good prices on the screen.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

as far as i recall powercity always mark refurbished goods as just that. refurbished. i would say its false advertising to sell a used or refurbed TV without telling the consumer

All the TV's you and I send back are sent back to the manufacturer by the company to see if they can get credit on them. The manufacturer will do one of three things

1) give the company credit
    2) send the item back bacause it's not broken or not there fault it's broken.
    3)offer to repair the goods and return them to the shop only giving part credit.

in option 2 the store will fix the item if they can and sell them as used/repaired goods.
    they also sell the goods repaired by the manufacturer as used/repaired goods.

And Yes they have to by law tell the customer they are buying used/repaired goods. otherwise it's misrepresentation and you can sue the pants off them!!! :)

Didn't know that, they always give you a receipt and say that is your warrenty. Never had to bring anything back to them, but i will take it on board the next purchase i consider with them.

Your recipt is your warranty. but your warranty states that if your goods break down inside 28days they should be replaced like for like immediately on verification of fault. but outside 28days the store has the option to repair/ replace at it's discretion.

thats the law also under the consumer act as far as i know.

evilhomer

"I am evilhomer, I am Evilhomer"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I bought a hob and oven in Powercity for €280. Had just come from B&Q where it was €370 and would have had to wait 8 weeks for delivery. Got the one from Powercity in 3 days delivered on a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    as far as i recall powercity always mark refurbished goods as just that. refurbished.
    i would say its false advertising to sell a used or refurbed TV without telling the consumer

They actually dont mark them as refurbished mate of mine is a junior manager there and advises me not to shop there ,although their prices are quite good the merchandise isnt up to scratch.
    Dont know if they have to mark them as New or refurbished but they dont mark them.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Agreed, stock isn't up to scratch. I have had several experiences of things having to go back. The first couple of time, I had to fight for a refund.....subsequently, it was less painless....how?

Know you rights.

When you walk into a shop with a product that you intend to return (because its faulty), know the law, know your rights.

Then simply quote these to the store manager (DO NOT SPEAK TO ANYONE ELSE, this is a waste of your time -- SERIOUSLY).

At the first sign of push back, dont argue, re-state the law and offer them a final opportunity to make the situation right. If there is still no movement, tell the STORE MANAGER that you now feel that you feel you have no choice but to pursue the matter in the courts.

9/10 times, you will get what you need there and then on the spot. If not, simply take them to the small claims court. It costs only a few euros and its incredibly painless!

Also, dont forget, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ACCEPT THE ITEM BEING REPAIRED. If you purchased it and it is defective on purchase, you are FULLY entitled to a FULL refund or replacement. PowerCity always offer the 'Ohh....we will fix that for you' option. Get bent power city!.....why should I let you fix something that is brand new?

Jab

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

If more people knew what their rights were there might be a better service in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Try,www.oasis.gov.ie

For just about all the info on consumer rights etc that you should ever need to know?..

P.

Advertisement