Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to build a garden pond??

Options
  • 20-08-2003 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

do anybody know how to build a proper pond for my back garden for housing fish up to 5lb and if so how do i go about making it ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Get a book out of library..

You need:

Big hole. Bigger than you think, and a few inchs deep and over a 14" wide strip dug around hole that is LEVEL for overlap of liner or edge of molding.

sand or carpet or old underlay to line it , esp. if using a pond liner

Big heavy duty pond liner or moulded rigid pond insert

rocks / bricks / slab / pavers etc to set around edge to hold egde of liner of pond insert

A filter unit if keaping fish (a pond with just plants and no fish is easier)

If you have small kids:
    A heavy grill to stop them drowning in it

If you have fish:
    A mesh cover or fake heron to keep Heron from eating fish.

People living in middle of a City who NEVER saw a Heron get to see one regulary till the last fish is gone. I'd swear they sit on fence and grin at you after a snack of your fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

If you can get your hands on some railway sleepers they make a good wall around the sides, and because they're made of wood you can easily mount a fence on the top if you have young kids.

My pond is about 6 ft x 4 ft irrgulkar shape. its about 2.5 ft at the deepest part, has pond liner and sleepers. I use attic insulation under the liner as the weight of the water will push it very hard against the sides of the hole. If their is a stone or sharp object you could get a leak. They can be fixed but its a pain.

Advertisement