Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gamesworld take-over

Options
  • 20-08-2003 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Apparently GameStop has taken over Gamesworld :eek:

Linky

Do you feel that this is a good move for the gaming community in Ireland?

Or just a ginormous multinational trying to get a foothold into the EU?

Comments, please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

to be honest, ive been to a few gamestops in the usa and was generally at the selection there, they cater for older consoles and sole old consoes and pc equipment as well as the newest software and pc/console gear , as long as any games shop keeps their prices fair then ill shop there, otherwise ill just get what i need online.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I'd say the boys in Gamesworld aren't complaining...

I think it can only be good for the Irish games market. I am surprised that they went after Gamesworld. I would have thought Smyth's would have been a more logical choice due to store size, location, name recognition among gamers and turnover.

However, if they are agressive and start putting up to the likes of GAME and Smyth's, it can only be a good thing... and a maybe a more enlightened approach to second hand games trading...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by tallpaul
    I am surprised that they went after Gamesworld. I would have thought Smyth's would have been a more logical choice due to store size, location, name recognition among gamers and turnover.

I don't think computer games is Smiths core business and they might not like the idea of been taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It can only be a good thing. The Irish game-retail market is a joke with absolutely no competition – they all carry the same stock and charge the same inflated prices, if GameStop are serious about cracking the market, we could have a nice little price-war on our hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

fantastic stuff. hate gamesworld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Well, gamesworld can't get much worse.. so bring on Gamestop!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Thats great news - Gamesworld are a bunch of rip-off mofo's,i was in a gamestop just off times square in NYC last week,it was pretty good tbh,they had lots of cool game merchandise ( i picked this guy up ) http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=321751

CombatCow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

that is gonna make things interesting, and if they sell the retro stuff theyll get a foot in the door straight away.

Its true that the competition here sucks, I was told by an english customer of a chain in the UK that simply opens up next to a GAME shop and charges £5 less for everything and supposedly theyre destroying them over there at the moment. Its cruel buisness but effective, we need something like that. At the moment GAME has things wrapped up and the prices are a joke, while the competition fails to see how they can overtake them and is happy to make decent money by doing nothing fair and ripping us all off.
    Roll on gamestop

Flogen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

just thought Id show you all this.... seeing as they are being taken over by a US company, their slogan will have to change, they claim to be 100% Irish, but that will change. But look at their estore page: http://www.gamesworld.com/estore in the top left where they are 00% service, 100% irish..... seems about right.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

If the new Gamesworld stores are on a par with the American Gamestop stores (I think that includes Babbages, Software Etc. and Funcoland for anyone familier), then this is great news. Gamesworld seemed to have potential a few years back, but now its just like any other shop that stocks video games - the same catalouge and the same prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by monument
    I don't think computer games is Smiths core business and they might not like the idea of been taken over.
    Correctly called I think, monument. I know most of us think of Smyths as being a games store with kids toys out the back but for most people it's the other way around:D

I like this move. UK companies have a history of moving into the Irish market and not shaking things up in any way. While there's no guarantee that US firms won't do the same thing here, at least there's a possibility of some real competition and price drops (I don't buy from the Internet by choice, I mostly do it because I'd feel nuts buying almost anything in Game at the prices they charge people who have no idea of how much things are elsewhere). Let the, er, games begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Crunch

sounds good to me. Btw, where do you buy games online? From abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I buy from www.play.com. Its sterling prices but cheap and the exchange at the moment is good. Free delivery aswell.

The reason it is cheap because they are based in Jersey with no tax rate. If you buy a game for £35 (most are only £30), you'd get it for roughly €50.

Downside is it takes about a week to get to Ireland!! :(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Originally posted by Crunch
    sounds good to me. Btw, where do you buy games online? From abroad?

You could also try Amazon .They're dearer than play.com but they stock loads more products.

I'm very happy with this development, Gamesworld were just another Game imo; high prices, bland layout, and the carpet wasn't too nice either.

Hopefully these new chaps will give the market the firm shaking it needs and bring down some prices. That's assuming they retain the same level of competitiveness they need in America and don't slide into the status quo like Gamesworld itself did. Here's hoping for the former :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Xtravision hanst been mentioned and they beating the pants of Play and GAME and Gamesworld for prices.

Tho i think its only the D 22 game shop they have that has the low prices but i have yet to see a €60 game even on release day.
    Either 50 or 55 and games actually to drop in price in xtravision whish is nice got Luigis mansion and Wave race for 40 blips.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

CDWOW do new console games at good prices, but for PC games or a more extensive choice Amazon are good.

(Eg. CDWOW have most games <€50, SOCOM is €56.95 and dilivery is free for all games)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Xtravision hanst been mentioned and they beating the pants of Play and GAME and Gamesworld for prices.

Xtra-visions undercutted everyone for the Enter the Matrix game. My store alone sold loads. Plus they were the only game store in Ireland to get the limited edition Primal games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Xtra-visions undercutted everyone for the Enter the Matrix game. My store alone sold loads. Plus they were the only game store in Ireland to get the limited edition Primal games.

So er... Do you sell any games that don't suck the farts from dead seagulls, then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I for one am sad to see the demise of Gamesworld. I don't care what anyone says these guys were the only dedicated independants and they genuinely care about their customers. I also sincerely doubt that a large multiple like GameStop is going to reduce the potential profits from an expensive acquisition by starting a price war when Gamesworld already has an excellent market share..more likely they'll just snazz the Stores up and make them that little bit more soulless...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Shinji
    So er... Do you sell any games that don't suck the farts from dead seagulls, then?

Brilliant :D

Kind of felt sad for Havok when I read articles in the SBPost and GameDeveloper.ie which included their association with that game.

• Advertisement
Advertisement