Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anonymous Surfing

• 20-08-2003 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Is there any sites around that let you surf anonymously

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

well u can go into ftp sites anonymously, don't know about normal sites. i sure u could probably get a program or soemthign that would block yur ip or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

I was sure that TRUE annonymous surfing could only be done my spoofing an IP as you ISP always knows your IP, not through software (hence the whole RIAA thing-you can't hide)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

If you spoof your IP you won't be able open any TCP/IP connections as it uses three-way handshakes. Actually, you wouldn't be able to recieve any traffic at all. It'd all go to the real owner of the address you're spoofing.

A proxy server will hide your IP from the sites you visit but your ISP will always be able to see your traffic. To hid it from them you would need an encrypted connection to your proxy server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

If you spoof your IP you won't be able open any TCP/IP connections as it uses three-way handshakes. Actually, you wouldn't be able to recieve any traffic at all. It'd all go to the real owner of the address you're spoofing.

really, news to me?

My advice is, get a linux box, learn iptables, ipmasquerading, make loadsa friends and get some shells, learn ssh-ssl port forwarding .etc Which should take you about a year or so, by which time you will have forgotton why you needed anonymity.

Of course there always it the sourceforge Freenet project, but its still only in dev really. Good idea tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

As said above, TCP/IP (the protocol that most internet services are based on) reqires a 3 way handshake (SYN/ACK/FIN).
    It is possible to spoof an IP address but this is no good if you want a response. Bit like ordering goods form Komplett to be shipped to the wrong address, on purpose! If you want to flood their server with packets (D/DOS) to try kill them then you don't need a responce but other wise spoofing is moslty pointless.

There are anonymous servers around that you request the data off and they retrieve it for you (stripping you Ip out in the request). Janus Anon Proxy (JAP) was like this but it's been compromised (on purpose) by the German government :rolleyes:
    It required/s you install a piece of open source s/w to proxy your requests through a mixmaster of cascaded servers and finally encrypted the data transfer so your ISP wouldn't know what you requested. Other than than you were connected to JAP your ISP couldn't trace it.

Freenet (see my sig) is an alternative internet, superimposed over the existing one. All the information is distributed over all participants nodes. All the data is encrypted all the requests are cascaded. It really requires broadband but will work over 56k.
    The only problems with it are
    1. It is an alternative internet - there is no gateway onto the existing content on the normal internet unless somebody has inserted it.
    2. It is not currently searchable. This makes finding specific information very difficult.
    3. It's slow as funk. Though popular (oft requested) informaion is faster.
    4. It's very beta (but stable) 0.5x
    5. Ian Clark is a fascist.

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Heres a very good article on JAP and anonymity in general.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/32450.html

Advertisement