Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

802.11G & Cardbus question

• 20-08-2003 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to get wireless for a mate and would rather go for the 54mbps over the standard 11mbps.
    All of the 54 laptop cards I see are cardbus only, no standard PCMCIA types.
    Do you have to have cardbus to achieve 54mbps?

If I want to stay on standard PCMCIA can I only go to 11mbps?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

anyone at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Specifications PCMCIA specification 2.1 provides for a 16-bit bus interface, has a maximum clock speed of 10 MHz and is capable of speeds to 20 Mbps. The 2.1 spec. does not provide for bus mastering, DMA, or multiple interrupts. While PCMCIA provides only a minimal performance improvement over ISA, and does not come close in speed toPCI, it does provide for considerably more flexibility than either of the others. The two most important features of PCMCIA are its Plug and Play and ?Hot Swapping capabilities.

54 Mbit aint gonna fit down a 20 Mbit bus

see here

tribble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Now that is PRECISELY the information I was looking for. Why the hell couldn't I find that!?!?!
    Cheers Tribble!

Advertisement