Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what software/language used to develop linux apps

Options
  • 20-08-2003 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭

Greetings

Quick question!

I have been developing VB applications linking to MSSQL for a number of years now! Our company is investigating the possibility of moving over to Open Source OSs and software (i.e. Linux, MySQL etc.). What is the Linux platform equivalent of an event driven language such as VB!! And what development software is available(i.e. the equivalent of VisualStudio)?

Any quick answers or links would be greatly appreciated!

Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

You could give Kylix a try, Kylix being the Linux version of Delphi.

http://www.borland.com/kylix/

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

There's always Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Kdevelop on kde was pretty damn good when I used it 3 years ago - up to the standard of visual studio, and not necessarily tied into kde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

glade?

LAMP[1]?

[1]Linux , Apache , MySQL, PHP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Originally posted by Trojan
    There's always Java.
    True. GUI Programming & Database programming in Java is surprisingly easy, and you always have the comfort in knowing that your code is completely portable in the event of deploying it to Win32 platforms too.

Having said that Java isn't event driven like <=VB6.

But I've been writing software for Linux in Java for the past few months, and even PDA's running Linux (the Sharp Zaurus).

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭McGintyMcGoo

Thanks for the suggestions!!

Advertisement