Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems using credit card security pin online

Options
  • 20-08-2003 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else had problems purchasing from online shops that ask for your three digit security pin number on the back of the card? I find that in many cases I can only *sometimes* buy from these if I leave my three digit security number out-and more and more places are insisting on it. For some reason I've only had this problem with UK based retailers.

I even got a new Visa card number from Bank of Ireland to see if that would help-no joy :( The bank says my account is fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this a special PIN for use on-line?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

No. It is a card verification number. Its printed on the back on the signature strip. 3 digits. Designed to "prove" that you have the card in your possession as it is never recorded electronically on card machines.

Of course you can always write it down when you're making a clone but its another sap to security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Yes, it's the extra three digits printed at the end of the card number on the back.

Funny thing is, I seem to have problems at shops that other people find ok. For example, I've never been able to complete a purchase at The Linux Emporium, with or without the security code.

The latest instance occurred today when I had to ring up 7DayShop and convince them to try my card without the security code (which worked). They were not too happy about this as the same thing had happened with my old card last week and it seemed suspicious...

You´re right about having probs with sites that are ok for others.. I used 7dayshop this afternoon without any probs...not that that helps you in any size shape or form !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Odd, I've never had a problem with any site that has asked for for the security code :/

• Advertisement

In most cases when I ring my bank about these problems they say there is a 'call' or 'referral' code on the attempted transaction and the retailer is to call their authentication centre to sort it out.

When I ring the retailers they usually tell me that a) they haven't a clue what I'm talking about or b) they simply can't do that or c) there's no point as they wouldn't get any further info from them anyway, and to go back to my bank.

Can anyone explain clearly to me what exactly the retailer is supposed to do in these cases or why the 'referral' code might arise? I once thought it was due to my lack of a postcode, but it really seems to be down to the security number.

BOI told me that this also happened last week when I topped up my RTG phone using my old card. At the time the Vodafone customer services rep did ring back as he thought he had taken a digit down wrong, but the transaction went through and I thought no more of it. Obviously if there was any contacting of authorisation centres to be done, then at least Vodafone knew how to do it.

At this stage the regular refusal of my card is becoming both very frustrating and embarrassing and BOI are of no help whatsoever. I've never even exceeded my credit limit or missed a payment, or anything like that. Unfortunately moving to another bank is not an option until I finish my thesis and get another fulltime job.

Incidentally, Parsi and BuffyBot, are either of you with BOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The code is there simply as an extra security measure. I have had four credit cards and used them all for online shopping, never once had a problem with this security code. Cards are/were with AIB (visa and mastercard), Ulster bank (mastercard) MBNA (mastercard).

If the issue is SPECIFIC to your security code then i'd imagine its your card issuer (not your bank, I mean mastercard/visa)'s problem, and you should get onto them. I have seen people have problems with a shop calling their bank because their shipping details didn't match the cardholders address (for example, Dell won't ship a machine to any address other than the cardholders.)

Hmm, I rang Visa who sent me back to BOI.

Rang BOI and explained the situation yet again. The girl I spoke with said that as far as she knew the three digit number was not on their system and shoudn't make a difference about whether the transaction was accepted or not. (She said she wasn't certain about this and would doublecheck it). There also seems to be no record of a declined or referred transaction with 7dayshop this morning :confused:

I *think* 7dayshop put the card details through manually as I didn't get an immediate 'declined' message when I entered mine on the website. I've no way of knowing if the rep also left out the 'none' in the postcode box when she put the card through again. (she was very reluctant to answer my questions about what exactly she was doing but did say she'd left the code security number out). However in other shops leaving the three digit number out definitely seems to work...

Those of you who have shopped from 7dayshop without problems: what do you put in the postcode box of your address details? I wonder if changing my 'none' to xxxx or 0000 would make any difference, but am a bit reluctant to try to purchase from them again only to get another refusal....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by sunbeam
    Incidentally, Parsi and BuffyBot, are either of you with BOI?
    I am & I've never had a problem using the three-digit code on my card online. I've never shopped at 7dayshop though.

Like eth0, I'd say it's a problem with your card issuer rather than the bank. They've ticked some ultra-paranoid security box on your card account or something. Ring Visa directly and find out.

I tried ringing Visa earler this evening. They said they don't deal with individual customer records and sent me back to BOI.

Just to prove to myself that I'm not going mad I just tried inputting the security code on an order form CD-WOW (who use Worldpay), where 'no postcode' is the last line of my address. I normally leave the three digit number and start date out without problems.

Expiry date + three digit number=card is declined
    Start date +Expiry date + three digit number=card is declined
    Start date +Expiry date only=order is accepted

:(

• Advertisement

Those of you who have shopped from 7dayshop without problems: what do you put in the postcode box of your address details? I wonder if changing my 'none' to xxxx or 0000 would make any difference, but am a bit reluctant to try to purchase from them again only to get another refusal....

I use 0002 and it works ok. I also use (on other sites 000000 and its ok).

I just received my statement and two of my problematic transactions from last week with Vodafone and 7dayshop are down as Mastercard transactions. Problem is, I don't actually have a Mastercard! An earlier, but still problematic transaction with 7dayshop is down as a Visa one.

Rang BOI yet again and they told me that my acount is a dual account even though I don't have a Mastercard, and the Mastercard number formed part of my account number . Whatever about Vodafone I don't understand how 7Dayshop got this as they supposedly refused to ring anyone. BOIs advice (wait for it): contact the retailers. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

"I just received my statement and two of my problematic transactions from last week with Vodafone and 7dayshop are down as Mastercard transactions. Problem is, I don't actually have a Mastercard! An earlier, but still problematic transaction with 7dayshop is down as a Visa one."

EHhh i hate to say this to you, but have you tried cancelling your cards. Has it occured to you that your account may have been compromised? I work in this business dude and deal with this on a daily basis and for one thing, if someone rings back and says they are from Vodafone and asks that you repeat the CSC saying they have got it wrong, the alarm bells start ringing straight away.

If I were you, now this maybe drastic, but cancel your card. There are two many funny problems going on. Ring your bank, tell them you are suspicious of a number of things and go through your account details/transactions with them. To many refusals to many conflicting things are ringing alarm bells.

What you should do is, ring up customer services and cancel your card saying you lost it in a river or something. then just ask for a replacement. You wont be charged the government charge for getting re issued.

"At this stage the regular refusal of my card is becoming both very frustrating and embarrassing and BOI are of no help whatsoever."

Any comments on what I have said. Please I am open to suggestions

Yes, I cancelled the card in question last week, but am still having problems with the new one (sorry, should have been clearer about that).

Tbh, I'd had some many problems with that cursed pin number at that stage that I was not too surprised when somebody rang me back asking for a confirmation of the number (I remember having a problem with a Vodafone credit card top up that didn‘t go through a year ago), but you are right I should have been more vigilant. I’ve checked the statement and apart from the two transactions billed under ’MasterCard’ nothing is out of order. Even they were valid, but just seemed to be categorised wrongly.

I rang Voda yesterday in an attempt to sort the discrepancy out. Customer services rep said they didn’t keep card details but ‘maybe somebody ticked the MasterCard box by accident?’ (!)

I think at this stage I’ve resigned myself to moving my card to another bank as soon as it becomes feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I rang Voda yesterday in an attempt to sort the discrepancy out. Customer services rep said they didn’t keep card details but ‘maybe somebody ticked the MasterCard box by accident?’ (!)
    Ticking the wrong box should immediately bring up a query for the Vodafone rep. - Mastercard and Visa use different number blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

"Ticking the wrong box should immediately bring up a query for the Vodafone rep. - Mastercard and Visa use different number blocks."

Agreed. If anyone rings you asking for details of a sort always ring them back. You never know who they are.

Im glad you have cancelled the card. Good luck with your new bank and credit card company.

MM

Advertisement