Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disk Partition Problem

• 20-08-2003 6:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭

I am having a problem deleting a linusx partition from my disk.

I have two hard disks and want to streamline thier use at the moment i have it setup as follows

Hard drive 1:

C: Windows XP partiton
    D: NTFS
    Linux
    Linux swapspace
    Unallocated
    I want to delete the linux partitons and share the left over space between C: and D:

Hard drive two is a split partiton using fat 32 i hope to move Linux on here in the future.

However everytime i try to delete the linux partions Partition Magic comes up with an error saying it doesnt handle that file type but it created the partitons when i set them up. Error code 510 or something.

I was going to use delpart but i am afraid it might delete the whole hard drive 1 by mistake as it doesnt seemed to recognise the seperate partitions.

I want to preseve both C: and D: at all costs and just delete the linus partitions.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

You might be able to delete them with FDISK?

Otherwise, what version of PM are you using?

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

PM 7 and have tried fdisk but they dont show up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Well, I think that DOS FDISK has issues with disks that contain more than two primary partitions or one primary + one extended partition. The Linux version might be more accomodating.

The easiest method, I reckon, is to Ghost the two partitions you want to keep (C: and D: ), nuke your disk (low-level format it or something), and restore the two partitions again using Ghost. Then go resizing/moving partitions.

Remember, make sure that the partition with the boot data and the registry heap - (C:, presumably) - goes back on first, otherwise the machine won't boot. At least, if my experiences with PM over the last fortnight have taught me anything... oh, and have the OS CDs standing by in case you need to fix the bootloader and/or MBR...

HTH,
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

just to let you know guys i solved the problem by using disk management in computer management located in administrator tools in Windows xp to delete the two linux partitions.

This corrupted the linux boot loader so i used a windows 2000 installation disk and ran fixmbr which restored the boot record.i never got a windows xp installation disk.:mad:

So now i have all my drives partition they way i want them.

Advertisement