Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help installing external usb hard drive

• 20-08-2003 7:29pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got an external hard drive cradle from ebay. I hae a plug adaptor on it for the power, and it seems to work fine, but I cannot get it installed (I'm using XP home).

The software installed fine, but I was expecting something to pop up saying new hardware found, but nothing happened. I restarted and the it found the hardware. I selelected "Have Disk", (the installation software created a directory called C:\USB Storage, with 2 files in it), but when I pointed it to the file in the folder, there was no option to choose the device. When I connect it now it says that there is a usb device atted and it is not working properly. I've tried using the add hardware wizard again but I can't get it to work.

This is what is in my Device manager:
    devicemanager.jpg

Sorry this is kind of vague but can anyone give me a few ponters as to how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

This may be a silly question, but having bought a hard disk _cradle_, have you actually put a disk in it?

More usefully, change the view in that window you've screen capped to "View Devices By Connection", and you may have a better idea of which device you're looking for.

Funny though, I didn't think USB Mass Storage devices needed drivers under 2k/XP...

Gadget

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yes drive is in, spinning up with green light.

OK, changed the device manager view if it helps:

devicemanager2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Hmm....

Four USB slots, two used, two "free" - though one's supposed to have a HDD on it. Curious.

Is this machine home-built or shop-bought? Is the HDD connected to a USB socket on the ATX backplane (i.e. beside the mouse/keyboard etc. sockets) or is it on a backplane riser (in front of a PCI/ISA slot) or possibly a front-mounted slot?

If it's one of the latter two, try one of the USB devices you know work in that socket, in case it's not wired correctly...

Beyond that, you should try the cradle in another PC.

Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Sounds like the driver didnt install correctly. Who is the manufacturer of the cradle? Is there a model number? Check out their website and download the latest drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I bet you a hundred bucks your problem is insuficient power.
    Is your adaptor a PS2(mouse) power adaptor?

Try a beefier transformer.

I have a external Hard Disk here that when plugged into my system (XP) is either 1.recognised 2. recognised but not useable or 3. unrecognised, all deprnding on which power adaptor I use (and two of those PSU's are the the same model!)

tribble

• Advertisement
Advertisement