Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX Card problem!

• 21-08-2003 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Having a problem that im pretty sure is my new Ti4200. Have recently upgraded my graphics card from mx440 to Creative 3D Ti4200 8x.

When i go into some games it looks like the images are splitting up , ie triangles everywhere, when i make the screen smaller its not as bad but totally unplayable. Its happened on NHL2002 & mechwarrior 4 merc's, but is ok on MOHAA.

Im pretty much positive the rest of my system isint the problem, Xp3000+ , 512Mb RAM, NF7-S Mobo....

Im not mad into games but do play quite a bit. I have downloaded the newest drivers and still bad. It isint clean installing the Creative Ti4200, bout 3 files i have redirect and get from winnt/system32 . Am really annoyed with it as it also affects my DVD quality. Any suggestions would be apreciated....

Thanks in advance, Loki

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Dunno if it's the cause of your problem but apparently nvidia's detonator drivers are notoriously difficult to remove completely when installing newer versions. There's a program called detonator r.i.p. that you can d/l from guru3d.com that removes the remnants allowing you to do a clean driver install.
    Might be worth a shot if no other suggestions are forthcoming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Did you do the recommened procedure of changing to vga with old card in,rebooting,put new card in and load new drivers.this usually solves the problem.I also have same rig as you and my ti4200 is perfect.What operating system do you have?If its 98 go into safemode and delete old card under display adaptors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I have a totally clean install, new motherboard, new harddrive....... basicly new system. I found exactly that milltown, its an absolute b***h to get rid of the drivers. Will try that and hope it works, just the fact that with the original drivers it should be running ok........ shouldnt it :confused: .

Creative's supply'd cd is crappy for installing, prone to errors. had the Ti4200 in my old system for a few weeks and when i tried to adjust the speed settings or change screen size i kept getting errors. Thought it was the mx440 drivers fault, but aparently it wasent.

It also seems that the newest drivers i downloaded are missing 3 of the files. Thinkin mabye going ati , and jumping repeatedly on the creative card :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Before you land on it I might buy it off you :D

For what it's worth I found some 4520 beta drivers to be much more stable and better performing than any recent detonators for my ti500. If you can't locate them on da web I'll burn 'em for you or find somewhere to ftp them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

www.nvidia.com get the drivers there. The ones on supplied cd are always a few months behind the ones on the nvidia site.

Before you install it remove all the nvidia graphics drivers completely. There is a utility that does it afaik, google for it. Should work without a hitch after that. Also make sure u have downloaded the via drivers from www.viaarena.com, they should help with agp issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,809 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ignore what I said about via drivers. Your motherboard is an nforce motherboard so get the latest motherboard drivers from the nvidia website while you're getting the vid card drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

What is ur current power supply if its less than 300w then its not enough for a 4200 and could be causing the triangles on the screen. I had the same problem with a ATI radeon 9000 pro on a 150w psu and it stopped when i upgraded to 350w. Try underclocking the card and see if this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Definetly not my psu..... have a 480w Antec True Power :) .

Dont think its my motherboard either as i had it in an ASUS A7N8X with the latest bios. And am pretty happy with the current bios on my abit board (later versions have been known to limit FSB).
    Cooling isint an issue either as i have a Xaser II case (5 fans). Getting water cooling next week and was thinkin of w/c the card, but no point when its this pissin off :rolleyes:

It pretty much has to be the drivers, will definetly try totally removing the drivers and then install the new ones from Nvidia.

Thanks a bunch guys, think this will solve it - and sure if not i will have a new trampoline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Before you think about getting an Ati graphics card, their drivers are MUCH more prone to problems than the Nvidia ones .... I have a Radeon 9700 and it was a bitch to get the drivers working properly .... I eventually got it working with no wierd artifacts on the screen by using the 3.4 drivers .... they're up to 3.6 now

Advertisement