Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remember Computer City?

• 21-08-2003 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember a chain of shops called Computer City? they used to rent games for a few quid a week and sell blank disks (made most of the money selling the blanks I'd say) should have something like that for PC games today. They had shops in parmerstown shopping center and off oconnell st behind the gresham.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yes I do.... I was a member!

I used to rent a game a week, and I loved that place. It was a shame when it closed down, and I assume it was down to piracy.

- Dave.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

As far as I know they still have one shop in Dublin - near Dalkey - doesn't rent games as far as I know but sells hardware

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I remember them. They had a store around the corner from the Eircom store on O'Connell st. I bought my Sinclair Spectrum from them. I loved renting games of them. Especially Robocop for the spectrum. That is still the best Robocop game ever!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Used to get my C64 games there in Palmsertown.
    Still have my membership card somewere.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Hickz

yeah i used to goto the store in o connell st
    to rent amiga games, one time myself and about four mates went in and rented monkey island 2 and them bought 50 blank disks

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

www.ccity.ie per chance.

Now they sell hardware to trade resellers, but I think the same (or some of) ppl are involved.

I got a c64 upgraded to a c128 for £20 in the shop just off OConnell St. Came into a bit of cash and went to trade it back in (about a month later) to get an Amiga and they wouldn't take it back *fcukers*.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I went to the parmers town one for ages, The day I got a membership in the one round from eircom, I rented a couple of c64 games, bought an action replay (copy device) and asked for the number of blank disks of the games I just rented! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by dazberry
    www.ccity.ie per chance.

Now they sell hardware to trade resellers, but I think the same (or some of) ppl are involved.

I got a c64 upgraded to a c128 for £20 in the shop just off OConnell St. Came into a bit of cash and went to trade it back in (about a month later) to get an Amiga and they wouldn't take it back *fcukers*.

D.

You ever dealt with the guy who runs CCity? Complete a$$hole.

I presumed CCity.ie are not the same company as the Computer City chain.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by Matt Simis

You ever dealt with the guy who runs CCity?
    Yeap - Greg.

Complete a$$hole.
    He's had his moments - alright.

I presumed CCity.ie are not the same company as the Computer City chain.
    Actually I think they are.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

i remember ccity, used to get a 64 game in there, then head around to the joke shop around the corner and get some smoke and stink bombs
    me and a m8 used 2 stick the smoke bombs underneath doors and let em off (hopein people would think it was a fire)

The stink bombs were for the bus ride home:D :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

yeah i used to go to the one on Cathal Brugha street for my Spectrum games and then later for Amiga games
    then one of the guys that worked there set up his own shop on Capell st but they were more expensive and so they closed down after about 6 months
    there was rumours going round that they closed because of a protection racket but most probably to do with licensing issues
    x-copy definitely put in its workload copying games for me ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by dazberry
    www.ccity.ie per chance.

Yeah, I occasionally pick up gear from them. The one in Shankhill was a rental store but now is basically a small warehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Heh, I deal with Computer City quite regularly. True, Greg's not really a people person, but if you get buying regularly you get decent enough treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, i remeber the store. If i recall correctly, they had one of the (even then) rare Atari PC's

me dad used to have to drag me out, i was always messin with the ST's and AMIGA's ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

i earned my very first warez monkey card from there :) i copied sim city for the atari st when i rented it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Did you hand copy the code sheet? It was like 20 pages long and was black writing on brown so it couldn't be photocopied.

They obviously underestimated how broke I was ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by amp
    Did you hand copy the code sheet? It was like 20 pages long and was black writing on brown so it couldn't be photocopied.

They obviously underestimated how broke I was ;)

that just made it all come back :)

i rented sim city and switchbalde 2 that day. i never got the code sheet for sim city so i couldnt play it. switchbalde 2 was good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ah, the fun you could have with a 8mhz processor!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement