Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card merchant account

Options
  • 21-08-2003 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Folks
    can someone help me.
    I put an item on ebay to sell.
    Just before evening i got a mail from a person from indonesia.
    He did not put any bid but he wants to offer direct.
    he offerred me a price but he said that
    he wants his CREDIT CARD CHARGE DIRECTLY WITH CREDIT CARD MERCHANT ACOUNT and he also wants shipping
    by FedEx International Priority.
    Now i have seen many item on ebay and most of them states that they will not post the item to INDONESIA.

i am using ebay for the last 3years but never heared this Merchant thing....
    any idea abt this? is this any fraud?

he has also mention a P.S.:---

PS : Please Don`t Delete Any Part Of Previous Correspondence.

and he is now looking for my response.....
    can some one help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most credit cards have an in-built protection whereby it is up to the seller to prove that the product was supplied. This may be what he is getting at.

However, I would be sceptical of someone paying by credit card from as far away as Indonesia.

Doubly so if people are saying they won't deal with people form Indonesia.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

sounds like he is going to use a fake credit card number and the deal will be outside ebay so you will have no recourse through ebay

I wouldn't touch it with a ten mile barge pole, make sure you have the funds in your hands before you mail anything.

by fake i mean stolen ...

also make sure your auction for that item has ended before entering into a different deal.

if someone places a legitimate bid while your item is still for sale, and you've already got it shipped half way around the world, you are going to get some negative feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by nahdoic
    sounds like he is going to use a fake credit card number and the deal will be outside ebay so you will have no recourse through ebay

I wouldn't touch it with a ten mile barge pole, make sure you have the funds in your hands before you mail anything.

Ive been told by Ebay sellers (Ive only ever purchased myself) that if: someone buys something with a stolen card and you have the money in your hand, you ship item, 2 months down the road the CC company can come back and take the money off you, and there is nothing you can do about it.

That would mean even having money "in your hands" is no guarantee that the deal is done.

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

use Paypal in these circumstances

http://www.paypal.com

M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

But if what I was told holds true then using PayPal is no more secure?

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

ok,
    i am refusing him now...

any more suggestion?
    this seems to be a good help from ye all

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

Funny I didn't see this earlier.

80% it's a fraud. Fraudsters like to get goods fast and disappear. Hence the Fedex International priority thing.

Working in the business of combating fraud, this sounds like a classic case of fraud.

Even though this is an ancient thread fair play to you for putting your query forward.....the advice received here was top notch...

It was suggested here that you get the funds in hand before you send the goods.

You may receive the funds yes but if the person is using a fake credit card then the likely hood is it wouldn't show up on a bank's system as reported lost/stolen. The transaction would go through. Then the real owner of the card comes back a month later and refutes the charge saying it wasn't him/her....you could have been liable for a chargeback....or not....

But anyway im rabbiting on here.....your vigilence has paid off....

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

thats what i thought off

i have saved my item.

i leave this thread open for future user in case thay come across

to it
    and thanks for your nice reply

• Advertisement
Advertisement