Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MetallicA!!! So what did you think?

• 21-08-2003 1:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

I have to say that's probably the best gig I've ever been to. Metallica were brilliant, the atmosphere was electric, the weather was beautiful. I'm exhausted, sore but happy :)

Metallica seemed embarassed that they couldn't (?) play "Whiskey", BUT Lars has promised us a gig next year.

Fu(king excellent or what!?!?!?!?

What did you think of the gig? 35 votes

Not as good as I thought it would be... (I'm mad or I've hit the wrong button)
    0% 0 votes
    Pretty good.
    20% 7 votes
    Excellent!
    20% 7 votes
    Best gig everrrrrrrrr!!!!
    60% 21 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I think James was amazed when we got so loud on the Die chant. I was sitting in the stadium and the sight of 30,000 people chanting is not something I'll soon forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

A1 to the Metallica boys, I was taking back all the bad sh*te I had to say earlier this Summer. Glad there was only two St Anger tunes though, Frantic meant a trip to the jax!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

what was the line up?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Pretty good. Not the best gig I've ever seen. But I enjoyed it immensely. The thing that bugged me was some of James' little comments about them being our family. :rolleyes:

But still pretty good nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

how come there is no option for "worst gig ever"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i thought it was brilliant, i was waiting.. and waiting. .and waiting for One, i even tried to start a few "one" chants in the pit.. and when they finally played it, god damn i wasn't let down :D

they pyrotechnics were excellent, the two st. anger songs were fairly ****e, but that's to be expected..

one thing that bothered me is that all the lil kids in the pit went MENTAL wen st. anger and frantic came on, and just stood there looking confused for the likes of 'blackened' or 'seek & destroy'

*meh* spose it can't be helped, but I will most certainly be going to see them again next year! hopefully I can wrangle a few more pit passes as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Originally posted by clansman
    what was the line up?

Battery
    Master of Puppets
    Harvester of Sorrow
    Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Frantic
    Sad But True
    St. Anger
    No Remorse
    Seek and Destroy
    Blackened
    Fuel
    Nothing Else Matters
    Creeping Death
    One
    Enter Sandman

pretty good gig with the exception of frantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Twas fantastic in my opinion.
    Best moments were probably the first time James yelled "Fire" in blackened and the pyrotechnics went off. I think everyone remotely near the stage could feel the heat on their faces. And then in Nothing else matters I looked back and realised how ****ing huge the concert was, as I could see lighters held up all the way to the back of the stands.
    The song where I saw the most confused young 'un's was probably No Remorse. Even I couldn't remember half the lyrics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Of the three gigs I've been to (1997/99/ & 2003) yesterday's was by far the best in terms of sheer atmosphere. THe outdoor venue really suits them so much better than the Point Depot.

It was heartbreaking to see so many little st.anger kids (who knew little else) in the pit with the rest of the die hards stuck out in the main arena. Grrrrr :D

Am I the only one who thought Frantic was absolutely amazing last night? I'm starting to think that people don't like the new album because they want Master Of Puppets 2, not a new, different album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I had an amazing day at it. The Darkness were very enjoyable, Linkin Park I went drinking during and then went nuts for Metallica. They played a great set it was brilliant to hear so much of the old albums being played.

atmosphear was brilliant as well. The crush up at the front barriers was huge at times though, didnt really mind as im large enough to withstand it but some of the smaller people had to picked up and checked out for their own good as they were clearly not enjoying the sinking feeling. The RDS turned out to be a very good venue. The pyrotechs for One were brilliant the roar of approval spoke volumes.

Also apparently did Linkin Park get a hard time? i.e. Bottles Chucked?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭wiggy69

Thought that the darkness were fairly good , yer man's tiger skin was gas ,with his little squeelly voice , lincon fart well what can i say they tried so hard , wassssup ireland , sad ****ers if you ask me , just was not impressed at all , and it wasn't very loud , but ****in eh man , me-****in-talli-m.fucin-ahhhhhhhhh , i was brought as part of my b day pressie and to be honest the first cuple of albums especially puppets are my shrine to the band , when they played puppets i thought i'd died and gone to heaven , sanitarium , **** me , ooooh yaeh creeping death oh man ..... and a few smokes and a few beers happy birthday to me , gig of the naughties !! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Originally posted by Ronan|Raven
    Also apparently did Linkin Park get a hard time? i.e. Bottles Chucked?!
    Yeah, I saw the singer (the one who raps) deflecting an empty with his hand, and apparently they had full ones thrown later in the set.
    I don't like the band, but I thought that was a bit extreme. I mean, if you don't like them, why bother chucking stuff, just go sit down or get drunk or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

I thought it was great,i only just turned up in time to see metallica, the fire and explosion stuff was really funny as the guy standin in front of me nearly had a heart attack each time they went of. But why was everyone chanting whiskey? Am i the only one who doesnt like that song? oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭triv88

how do you get those pink wrist bands to get into the pit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

feckin great gig..was so feckin crowded tho i was totally squashed for the whole thing. some idiots were tryin to start a pit behind where i was but they were just shakin the crowd around and everyone just kept falling oveer, twas quite retarded.

that little solo that kirk did wasnt that impressive tbh...... robs one was great tho! if only he had have turned of the distortion for it.

what did disappointed me however was the lack of echoing by the crowd during for whom the bell tolls.

still all in all one of the best gigs ive ever bin to!

Originally posted by nesthead
    that little solo that kirk did wasnt that impressive tbh...... robs one was great tho! if only he had have turned of the distortion for it.

AFAIK, that little solo after Harvester wasn't planned. Hetfield pointed at Hammett, then pointed to his ear pieces and walked off stage. After Hammett played, he walked off shaking his head. Still, that was a one off solo that didn't happen on any other European gigs this tour afaik :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭fisty

worst gig ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭MrBigglesworth

Originally posted by triv88
    how do you get those pink wrist bands to get into the pit?

You start queing up about five hours before gates open (which I did). Sheer hell, especially in the baking sun, but it's worth it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Great gig. I just wish I hadn't bothered coming until 7.30 or 7.45. As good as The Darkness were, which was quite good, apart from one long drawn out number, it didn't make up for waiting almost five hours.

And I may be getting a bit long in the tooth, but the moshing at the start, just where I was, really ****ed me off. Especially this guy beside me who was going everywhere like a giant, violent, dying fish. Thankfully it stopped after puppets, and when a handful of lads started it again, some girls slapped the **** outta them til they stopped. But still, it was annoying cause I really wanted to watch the gig, instead of watching where the hell that big six footer was gonna be putting his size 14s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

yeah, that six footer, was he the one with the red and black wig? I nearly had to have words. (the words being *STOP THAT!!!*) jeez his arms looked like oars. which is just as well, cos his size 14s would have floated him along like 2 boats quite well.

and yeah, the gig rocked :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I hate ****ing polls!!

Gig was great thanks to Mystic for the armbands!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I actually prefered the Darkness to Metallica to be honest. They f*cking kicked ass. The only bad point was they weren't loud enough.

I'm definately considering coming to see them in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by glimmerman
    yeah, that six footer, was he the one with the red and black wig? I nearly had to have words.

No, musta been a different one. I use the term lightly, he was actually about 6'4". Though it seemed like everyone six foot or over decided to go and stand in front of me during the gig. I'm 5'10", and was finding it bad enough, but there were a few girls near me (that didn't want to go forward for fear of the moshing antics), and they were all tiny. If they hadn't got the odd lift up, I don't think they'd have seen anything. Mind you, when they did, of course we got dowsed with water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

Was it me or was there a more amount of spas at the gig...I mean more than usaul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Eye

It was my first time at a metallica conert, definetly won't be the last, like most people prefer the older albums but even so the handfull of new songs that they did play, i thought they pulled it off pretty well.

The Darkness were so so, music is somewhat decent but i think the singer is just a bit of a puff, i mean what's with the voice he ain't one of the bee gee's and the clothes.... good god, all he need was a hairy chest and he could have been steve tyler.

Linkin Park kicked ass, they played a great set dispite the **** they had to put up with from all the dicks throwing bottles at them. i know at one point mr. han had a bottle thrown onto one of his decks which was uncalled for and pissed him off, ended up him firing out a blast of bottles in the direction of whoever threw it.

Metallica.....what can i say they rocked the RDS. Myself i had a seat back up in the stand and had a fantastic view from pretty much accross from the centre of the stage. From up on the stands the view was excellent, seeing 30 odd thousand people clapping and chanting in harmony is an image that will stay with me for some time, even from the stands the pyrotecnics were sweet, each time all 8 or 10 flames (or what amount there were) went off at once we could even feel the sudden blast of heat so i can imagine it must have been something else up in the pit :)

All in all a fantastic gig (except for the darkness) here's hopeing they do actually come back again next year, though i doubt that very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

man i really wanted to goto the metallica concert but i was just to damn late. all my friends went to it and said it was a brillent concert but they are 14-16 and dont know **** about good and bad songs(tehy thinks st.anger album was there best album:confused: ) im going to the Iron Maiden concert in decmber and going to the metallica next year. hope it will be as good as this year(on what i have heared)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

MAIDEN DEC FIRST I'LL BE THERE 2 ..CAN I PLAY WITH MADNESS ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

music was good but the patronising dialogue inbetween songs was really ****e.
    What was with that ending?
    I have seen them every time since they came to the Top Hat in Dun Laoighre in 1988 (missed them in 1986 on the Damage Inc tour) and can confidently state that this was the worst concert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

I had a greaat time at the gig, didn't really pay much attention to Darkness or Linkin Park, didn't see the bottling tbh - was right at the back of the pitch, was delighted that I could see almost the entire stage for most of the gig (even tho i am only 5"1 and standing behind ppl who were at LEAST 5"10. We could feel the heat off the flames on stage right at the back, was nice as it was getting kinda chilly back there!!! was blown away wih the amount of ppl holding lighters aloft for Nothing Else Matters very cool sight seeing that many ppl singing along and things like that really!

Saw Mordeth (how the hell did u get the pit passes u were in later than we were!!!) and a few other boards ppl who I didn't really know (Soz to everyone else) but was too shy to go over and say hi so the only conversation was saying hi to Mordeth when he came over looking for Elexes really (I can be really shy around new ppl sometimes)

Advertisement