Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MetallicA!!! So what did you think?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

despite my previous criticism of the gig I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a CD copy of the 2FM broadcast. Anyone have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Originally posted by kbannon
    despite my previous criticism of the gig I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a CD copy of the 2FM broadcast. Anyone have one?

Rhythm Records on the quays, just down from O'Connell Bridge on the south side, were selling copies of the gig the next morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

for 40 ****in quid!

unreal prices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

OMG. Anyone who would pay that much deserves to be ripped off.

ok - I'll rephrase the question:-

despite my previous criticism of the gig I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a CD copy of the 2FM broadcast. Anyone have one that is not at a rip off price?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Why not just buy the cd between 3 or 4 friends and, eh, "share" it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

I'm presuming the cd is far from official anyway?

Originally posted by feylya
    Why not just buy the cd between 3 or 4 friends and, eh, "share" it.
    I wouldn't pay 40 yoyos for it if it was legit and I aint gonna pay it for a bootleg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by kbannon

Why bother? The following were all missing from the broadcast:
    Battery
    Master Of Puppets
    Harvester Of Sorrow
    Sanitarium
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Frantic (no loss)
    Blackened
    Fuel

How the hell did 2FM leave out the first five??? And no Blackened??? Its not as if time was a consideration, Battle played at least a half hour's worth of tunage afterwards...

€40 to miss all that? No thanks.

aah - I didn't reaslise that RTE were playing the abridged version of the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

i really enjoyed it though the organisation, as always in ireland, was pathetic...

highlights were blackened, sanitarium and one...

the darkness have got to be the most godawful band i've ever seen! i don't understand how people can like them, although i don't understand how people caan like a lot of bands. but really, they suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

well, to be honest, it can't have been much fun for either the darkness or linkin park, because as linkin park said themselves, the vast majority of the crowd were only there for one reason and one reason alone - metallica!!!

apart from nearly getting trampled, i had a fuppin brilliant time -
    i can't believe i was nearly not going to go!!! you fool!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

One thing I didn't understand though... the dude over the speaker system thingy telling ppl at the end of the gig at the end of the night that we were in a residential area and not to make noise leaving the gig... I mean HELLOOO if it is a residential area would the residents not resent some man booming that all over the place after 11pm???? Ok if he only said it once maybe they would forgive him but he was announcing this every ten minutes, make sense of that if you will ppl

Other than that it was a thoroughlly enjoyable day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

I have to admit I wasn't at this one but I saw MetallicA at the point in 92 and 99, 92 being the gig of a lifetime.
    Back in the early 90's they were proud of their just released 'Black Album', playing 5 tunes off it I think. Now it seems they want to satisfy their 'Kill/Ride/Puppets' fans with a setlist that would have been possible prior to 1992, but what about the people who followed them through thick and thin (like me) and wouldn't mind hearing 'Ronnie' being played after 'Purify' on stage???
    They've turned their back on themselves. They're a great band but they shouldn't cut out the stuff they've made since Black. Loads more off St. Anger and something off Load/ReLoad please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by Heresy
    I have to admit I wasn't at this one but I saw MetallicA at the point in 92 and 99, 92 being the gig of a lifetime.
    Back in the early 90's they were proud of their just released 'Black Album', playing 5 tunes off it I think. Now it seems they want to satisfy their 'Kill/Ride/Puppets' fans with a setlist that would have been possible prior to 1992, but what about the people who followed them through thick and thin (like me) and wouldn't mind hearing 'Ronnie' being played after 'Purify' on stage???
    They've turned their back on themselves. They're a great band but they shouldn't cut out the stuff they've made since Black. Loads more off St. Anger and something off Load/ReLoad please.

maybe they realised that the majority of their fans thought St Anger sucked :rolleyes:

I always thought MetallicA were not only about what the fans wanted but what they wanted *themselves*.
    For example back in April 99 they decided to do a concert with the San Francisco symphony orchestra. How many fans would have wanted that?? As it turned out the idea only worked for a few of the tunes (the less heavy MetallicA ones) while the heavy songs like Battery and Bells seemed out of sync with the orchestra. The lads did what they wanted - they failed but in the words of Hetfield himself - 'Hey man, as least we tried'. I admire that. That's what life is about. You don't fail by sitting back on your arse but you won't achieve a thing.
    Now please, go easy on the new guy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Originally posted by Heresy
    I always thought MetallicA were not only about what the fans wanted but what they wanted *themselves*.
    For example back in April 99 they decided to do a concert with the San Francisco symphony orchestra. How many fans would have wanted that?? As it turned out the idea only worked for a few of the tunes (the less heavy MetallicA ones) while the heavy songs like Battery and Bells seemed out of sync with the orchestra. The lads did what they wanted - they failed but in the words of Hetfield himself - 'Hey man, as least we tried'. I admire that. That's what life is about. You don't fail by sitting back on your arse but you won't achieve a thing.
    Now please, go easy on the new guy...

while that does ring true, Metallica may realise that most of their "newer" fans only got into Metallica from the Black Album onwards - and what better way to introduce Metallica then a blistering aural assault by way of class tunes as "Battery", "Hit The Lights" and plenty more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I would've liked to hear a few load songs myself, but I still thought it was a class gig, and I think their older songs are more suitable for a live show.
    Also, I personally wouldn't call S&M a failure. I think it worked with the majority of the songs. They weren't nessacerly better than the originals, but were competant interesting takes on some old classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I nkow a tool who had a ticket to go and didn't, by choice! ****ing tool!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

It's a sure sign that things are going sh*tty when a band releases sequels of albums and songs (Unforgiven 2, re-load)

And I'm sorry, but the only two longs from the godawful years worth listening to are "Hero Of The Day" and "Fuel" , the latter is piss poor on the album. It's class on S&M and even better live. That's about it. And if they want to play their music from before they started to dumb it down, I'm not gonna complain.

One is the best song ever. Great encore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭af666x

Oh and I'm looking for help to track down that twat of a waterboy in front of the stage. He took Kirks plec off me. I had my fingers on it and that sh*t walked over and lifted it. He sucks donkey d*ck.

Lads with reference to the post Black Album material we've been talking about, I'd just like to say I think it's really great despite its many critics.
    The albums leading up to Black were like a procession to heaven (or hell, whatever your disposition). I'd say it is so hard to make good music when you've become the best band in the world of your own genre. Of course there is going to be a creative decline after you've made it but just think about it - they're still the same people and they still love music. They owe nothing to anybody.
    You know what, with this band they've never released an album where it hasn't been heavily criticised. Here's *my* perception of common faults people found with each album:

Kill - "Too raw"
    Ride - "Too slow"
    Puppets - No comment. can't understand why anyone would dislike it
    Justice - "too different to puppets"
    Black - " too main stream"
    Load/ReLoad - "too different to black"
    St. Anger - "too ****e"

By the way I like all these albums with varying degrees of magnitude, ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

My answer is not in the poll above so i will write it.

What did i think about the concert?
    A ****ing disgrace! Bloody metallica fans booing Linkin Park off stage. That's a feckin joke. If anything metallica should have been booed off stage - seeing how they ****ed up napster for us all. Money grabbing pricks!

If your puke tastes like Fois Gras go right ahead.

Now, about Metallica being money grabbing what-ya-ma-call-its, that's so right. but shur wouldn't we all be if we got the chance?

there's this program (very like napster) available from
    www.kazaalite.tk . It works the exact same way as napster except it will never be shut cuz it ain't a company. You should check it out. Got St. Anger off of it. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

As far as I recall, promoting software which allows the obtaining of illegal copies of copyright material (like most music) is frowned on on these forums.

The Metallica gig (as has already been said in other 'what did you think of the Metallica gig?' threads ...) was awesome. The Darkness were decent. Linkin Park were ****e as expected. Metallica kicked forty shades of ass.

But that's SO next month. ROLL ON IRON MAIDEN!!!

Hold your horses there. It ain't illegal as such. There's no international law against the sharing of files between a group of people, ok. So please, don't frown too much, the frown might stay.

I didn't say the software was illegal. Reading my post before replying to it is usually a good idea.

Try to stay on topic, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm so going to Iron Maiden! The only problem is my strange lack of tickets..... Solutions, anyone?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by It wasn't me!
    I'm so going to Iron Maiden! The only problem is my strange lack of tickets..... Solutions, anyone?

Buy tickets.

Worked for me.

:p

Advertisement