Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion...

Options
  • 21-08-2003 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

I have this proposal for a forum called Volunteerism or voluntary service.
    In Ireland there are very many voluntary organizations providing a vast array
    Of services to the Irish public these are organizations like Civil Defence
    The Coast Guard, The order of Malta, The Red Cross, and The R.N.L.I suffice it to say
    That the list is extensive and extends all the way to the Guy who coaches the local
    Under 12s team. I am sure there are members of these services on boards who would have
    Use for such a forum. And for board’s members who are not involved in anything like this
    It would open them up to new opportunities with organizations that they may not even
    Know existed or knew little or nothing about and folks there are some fantastic opportunities
    Out there, take my example I am a member of Civil Defence and in return for some of my free
    Time once or twice a week I have been trained in Fire Fighting, First aid and Water rescue
    I got a Level 3 Power boating license through them and I get to drive a Flippin fast rescue boat
    Almost every weekend at the moment. Anyway in spite of all that we have difficultly getting members
    And it's mostly because people are unaware of us and what we do and from what I hear other organizations
    Have similar difficulties. So anyway for or against post your opinion hopefully there is sufficient interest
    To justify a forum.

Thanks

Red
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

That sounds kinda cool!!! Is there an age restriction?

Oh and the board sounds like a runner too.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

good idea, I'm bored and want to do stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Would indeed be interesting to have board to learn about and discuss these organisations. Never know, might join up as well, sounds useful. Tho my lazy lifestyle might have to take a back seat. Can never have one without the other :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i'm all for this board. tbh i'm always too lazy to go looking for details....generally cus i'm online :/

however this'll mix the best of both worlds! interesting things and Boards! w00t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

It sounds interesting, but like everything, it could be abused, I dont think any kind of fundraising should be allowed on the board, or any recruiting from organisations that goes beyond posting up details of how to get involved on the board.

heh it even applies to bthe boards crew, all of the work the admins / mods and users (the likes of muck on ioffl) have done over the years are a great example of volunteerism (is that the word?) in action.

Anyways, might get more of us up off our arse to do something worthwhile for once ;)

my 2 cent(s)

/me gives it his paw of approval

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by DeVore
    That sounds kinda cool!!! Is there an age restriction?

Oh and the board sounds like a runner too.

DeV.

In the Case of Civil Defence the lower age limit is 17 and members must retire at 65 years old. I agree with the no fund raising comment and also limiting recruiting to information provision only. Delighted with the response:)
    Thanks
    Ryan

A very good idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

bring it on!

• Advertisement

So is this a runner? I've been gathering lots of information in anticipation of the foum being granted:) :):)

Cheers

Ryan

For those who expressed interest this forum has been created under Society, Thanks DeV.

Mod you can close this now if you want.

Advertisement