Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shell accounts

• 21-08-2003 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

could some one please tell me what a shell acount is and what u
    can do with one. i here ppl talkin about then but i havent a clue
    what they are...!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Its just an account on a machine, like a linux box or whatever. Its pretty basic really, but they make the world go round. :)
    Nice m4 btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

could some one please tell me what a shell acount is and what u can do with one. i here ppl talkin about then but i havent a clue what they are...!!!

Shell access normally refers to the root of the account. For example; if you have a web hosting account on a shared server and you want to access it through SSH or Telnet then you would need shell access to that account.

However, many hosting companies provide control panels to automate many of the common tasks associated with shell access

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Shell access normally refers to the root of the account.

Are u sure?? Im not really up on terminology, but i have a few shell(or what id call shell accounts) accounts and I certainly dont have root on them, I mean that would be rediculous. I dont mean to be a bigot or anything, but are you implying that anyone who runs a web site or whatever on a linux box would have root. All the muppets like me would run wild. It would like be a serious security breach. I always thought when people refer to a shell they simply mean like bash on a linux machine or a simple user accound on a VMS machine or something along those lines. Like thats the whole thing with apache conf, that it allows users the web capability features without root.
    Maybe im picking u up completely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

but are you implying that anyone who runs a web site or whatever on a linux box would have root

I didn’t want to confuse the root of the site to the root of the server and yes your right bash on a Linux box would be considered shell access.
    Traditionally shell access telnet or SSH would give you access to the root of the server and yes, you could run amok with the whole thing there. However, today’s server software allows a server admin to create accounts, which are jailed, and each user would have all the tools he needs eg. Mod Perl, MySQL etc. to play around with on the command line. It’s popular with developers.
    Each user would have user (simulated root) (telnet / SSH) access to their own account (they cannot climb the directory tree to the main or server root account) and if they made a bo***x of things it would effect their site and nobody else’s.

Linux User Mode is a good read on this.

Advertisement