Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possibly Crazy?

• 21-08-2003 3:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok where to start, well anyways whenever I find myself alone or lying in bed unable to sleep thinking to myself I start to create weird scenarios in my mind. An example of this would be this thread for instance. I’ve being thinking about getting this off my mind and all of a sudden I find myself more or less talking to myself saying what I’m going to put in this thread and then the aftermath of it…. The responses etc… but that’s only one example. Also I seem to have weird fantasies, which involve my friends or sometimes it can be completely unreleated to anything i know, and I turn out to be kinda the “hero” of the fantasy/scenario or sometimes it just turns out kinda null or neutral. But it’s worse than that, I find myself talking to myself not out loud but in my mind and tbh it’s starting to worry me a bit, thus me posting this here. I can have full blown conversations with myself and before you ask, no I’m not schizophrenic, it’s just me talking to myself :P. the weird thing is i know that i'm doing this half the time and i just can't stop :S

i hope this makes sense.

Any feedback is appreciated
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

You're not crazy. Everyone has internal dialogue.
    Analysing why you're anyalysing yourself is much like looking at infinite reflections of yourself in opposite mirrors - it can get you more confused, and there is no end to it.

Lack of sleep, staying awake into the small hours, not eating well and not taking care of your general health can promote this kind of self analysis that seems impossible to shut off. Telling yourself to stop the internal dialog won't work, because it's like saying "don't think of an elephant" - you won't be able to stop yourself thinking of one, and you won't be able to help it.

Solution - eat right, get your vitamins, go to sleep at regular hours, and don't oversleep. Your brain activity will fall into alignment within a couple of weeks or less.

Oh, and if you're ever sane enough to think you might be crazy, then you're not crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Just sounds to me like your thinking stuff through, before making decisions about anything you have to weigh the pros and cons in your head. I'n my opinion it's crazy to act irresponsably without considering the consiquences. if your still worried you can always read a good psycology book to try to find what theories you relate to, just steer clear of sigmond froid, he's a sicko! *just kidding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by ColinM
    Oh, and if you're ever sane enough to think you might be crazy, then you're not crazy.
    Does that mean that if you think you're normal, then you're quite possibly crazy?

Would explain a lot!

Yeah, it can mean that alright. It's sort of a corollary. If you're crazy, you are unlikely to realise it. Your craziness will be your normality, so you will think you are normal.
    It doesn't mean though, that if you think you are normal you are definitely crazy, and you don't have to think you are crazy in order to be sure you are normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I have a leprechaun that talks to me. He tells me to burn things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

dont' send yourself off to loopyville yet, you're not nuts. I'm guessing you're in your teens? Or I could be way off!
    Don't worry about, it sounds like you are a just a very imaginative person which is a very good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

Originally posted by Hobbes
    I have a leprechaun that talks to me. He tells me to burn things.

"You've done grand laddy! Now you know what you have to do! Burn the house down! BURN 'EM ALL" - ahhhhh good old simpsons!!!

I self analyze and have conversations in my head all the time sometimes i find that i plan out conversations that im going to have with people, it doesnt mean im crazy, colinM's advise to good follow that and you'll be fine get out a bit more i found going for walks or hanging about with your mates works wonders you need a little bit of time away from your brain and to do that just hang out with your mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭MrScruff

Okay, but think of the alternative, sit around vacantly staring into space, your mind a complete blank, I think the brain needs excercise just like any other part of the body. Maybe you "excercise" a bit more than some people, maybe not?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Do you have some stress in your life? Are you worried about your job or a relationship? Strange dreams can be a way of trying to escape the pressures of the day. I have had some really mad ones. It doesn't mean you are going mad, the subscience will try and create senarios which it may be comfortable with or ways to try and sort out problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

If that's classified as mad, then you can put me in the same category...
    I'm a paranoid git by nature, so I'm usually running all the worst-case scenarios in my head all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

You're normal.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Again, Thanks for the feedback :) will take those suggestings under advisement ColinM :) have being doing the opposite of that for about a year now :P! hehe Spacedog won't be reading any psycology books, for the same reason i don't read medical books :) and yep i'm in my teens Kananga. I used to be like what you were describing MrScruff and I used to enjoy it sometimes, staring blankly into space but i think I'll be happy with soemthing in between the two states of mind.

Thanks all for the advice, gonna try and get into the habbit of normal sleep eating and everything else :), thanks again,
    GuestyMcGuest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

You should of used Walter Mitty as your nick :)

Wow, so you're actually going to follow my reckless advice then? Please don't blame me if you get too sane for your liking!
    Maybe you could report back in a couple of weeks' time to let us know exactly what levels of sanity it's possible to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Clearly a fruit. I'd stock up on the lithium if I were you.

Originally posted by GuestyMcGuest
    Also I seem to have weird fantasies, which involve my friends or sometimes it can be completely unreleated to anything i know, and I turn out to be kinda the “hero” of the fantasy/scenario or sometimes it just turns out kinda null or neutral

Continuous daydreaming is a sure sign of social isolation, don't know if it applies to you but if it does i'd try to do somethin bout it, the fantasies will never be real no matter how much you want them to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Caffine

most ppl i know do that, including myself :)

I go over old conversations all the time almost unconsciously and start thinking about how I could have handled it differently. Sometimes I mutter out loud what I wish I had said which is lovely when you're in earshot of people. It's almost involuntary. Anyway, what's normal. I think it's abnormal to be normal.

Advertisement