Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excel 'sort' Question.

Options
  • 21-08-2003 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Why is it in Excel that when I go to do a sort (Data > Sort > Sort By) it will usually sort by the cell title eg 'Column A' , 'Column B', 'Column C' etc but then on other occasions it will only sort by the actual content of the cells in the first row of the list eg 'apples', 'bananas' , 'cherries' etc.

I find this problem very irritating as when it occurs it means that the first row in a particular sort selection never gets moved to the correct new position.

Can some explain why this is happening and how I can get it to stop for good? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

When you click Data>Sort>Sort by, at the bottom of the Sort dialog box, there is an option- My list has a header row, or no header row. If you tell it there is a header it will use the first row as a column header. If you tell it there is no header, it will treat the first row as part of the data to be sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yep, that's what was causing it. Thanks for that one!

Advertisement