Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salary question

• 21-08-2003 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Can I ask all you people out there what sort of money an IT graduate should be getting??

What is the best paid jon in the IT industry???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It depends on what McDonalds are paying at the moment.

All jokes aside, you're not going to find it easy to get an IT job as a fresh graduate with no experience, matey. A bit of a catch22 - you can't get a job without experience, you can't get experience without a job. You're going to have to start small (net cafe admin, tech support, that kind of thing) and build up relevant experience while keeping an eye out for opportunities. Make sure you get industry-related qualifications (CompTIA certs, MCSE, CCNA, etc) on top of a degree for extra credibility.

For the big bucks you'd want to get into network security, especially UNIX-related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I would tend to agree.
    Feck all for grads.
    now you have to work your way up.
    Probably hurts to see guys who left the year you started buying houses within a year and all but that ship has sailed.
    Unless you have at least 4 years experience behind you now you are in trouble.
    McDonalds might not be such a bad idea tho from what some people have said here about tech support jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

High end db programming seems to pay quite well. Maybe think of doing a post grad course and some IT certitifcations while the jobs are slack. You would then be better placed in 12 months if it picks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

I think we'll all be emigrating to Romania or czech because that will be where all the it jobs will go. IT people will be 10 a penny

Thats very true. I've also noticed that eveyone I know, knows someone who works in IT or fixes PC's. So theres no work in nixers like there used to be, doing support or web stuff either. They just get their relative or friends to do it for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Maybe think of doing a post grad course and

That's my plan anyway - I'm happily holed up in College weathering the storm. It seems to me from talking to friends etc that there really isn't anything decent out there unless you try and get onto a graduate program somewhere. Everyone is looking for people with extensive *practical* experience. Big change from when I started College in 1997 and we were promised a world of riches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A best mate just got accepted into the graduate program of one the big banks here. 25k starting, with some very good benefits. As a web developer.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    A best mate just got accepted into the graduate program of one the big banks here. 25k starting, with some very good benefits. As a web developer.

Hes blessed. Very tough market out there now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

the big banks were always tough to get into.

I started in one of the big banks in 94 on the graudate traing programm..20 graduates hired out of 2,500 applications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yeah he is an intelligent fella.

• Advertisement
Advertisement