Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect fan to HD power supply?

Options
  • 21-08-2003 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭

The chassis fan connector on my motherboard doesn't seem to work (tried two different fans, nothing. Fans work on another system) so I was wondering if you could connect the fan to one of the Hard drive power plugs. They're both 12v alright.

Also, is the middle wire from the fan (not the red or black one, I think the middle one is blue) used just for monitoring rpm etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The RPM monitor is on the side, furthest away from the 12V pin ... yellow wire is most common for this, but I have seen light blue used as well

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

There are usually 1 or 2 extra fan connectors on most good mobos. I'd use one of them first, but a spare HD cable works fine too.
    You can get a connector that plugs into a HD cable and has another HD connector plus a 2 strand wire for a case fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Yeah there are only two fan connectors, one for the CPU and one chassis fan (which doesn't work) One fan on the CPU just ain't enough cooling so I'll have to use the HD power supply.
    I couldn't ben bothered sending the mobo back just because the fan PSU Doesn't work.
    Thanks for thee advice guys, I'll have a look for one of those connectors or just so it myself.

Cheers

Advertisement