Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

keane out of euro qualifiers

• 21-08-2003 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

due to the ankle injury he picked up against the aussies. this makes it much tougher to qualify now, although it might help that the russian manager has today quit - that cant be good preparation for them....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

how long is he expected to be out for then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Where did you see this story treefingers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

skysports news

that's odd, I can't find anything on the SkySports site, can you post a URL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yep, Its true. I saw it on Sky Sports News too. It is a real blow for us but we should still win. We beat the Aussies without him so we had a bit of practice. Also, Russia lost at home to Israel last night and they haven't won since February.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kone
    that's odd, I can't find anything on the SkySports site, can you post a URL?
    "Sky Sports News" is a digital television channel and it gets all the football news before anyone else, therefore there is no link available yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

its true alright!!! out for both matches.

BUGGER!!

You'd think Sky Sports would put something on their site or even RTE for that matter! Aah well C'est la Vie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Chris Hughton is quoted this morning in the Herald/Indo of saying that if he makes the bench for the Fulham game the week before Russia, he will link up with the Ireland Squad.

He also said that he is more optimistic about Keanes chances than he was on Tuesday, although they are still slim.

Strange how the Spurs asst. is not ruling him out but sky sports are!

Are you sure he's out for both?

Chris Hughton said he had a chance of playing a part in the Russia game and the injury wasn't as bad as first thought. The switzerland game is 51 days away, thats a long time to heal an ankle injury.

BTW. I only saw on Sky Sports that he will be out for the Russia game, where did you hear that he was going to be out for the Swizz game?

• Advertisement

I found a link:

Soccer Central
    It say's he will be out for about 3 weeks, don't know where you heard that he'd be out for at least seven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

http://www.football365.com/All_News/Breaking_News/story_78116.shtml, Hoddle says he'll be out at least two weeks and will miss the international.

The question now is who playes up front?

Doc/Morrison/Con/Lee/Duff?

I'd fo for Morrison and Duff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

Originally posted by jongore
    http://www.football365.com/All_News/Breaking_News/story_78116.shtml, Hoddle says he'll be out at least two weeks and will miss the international.

The question now is who playes up front?

Doc/Morrison/Con/Lee/Duff?

I'd fo for Morrison and Duff

my mistake - hes just out for russia game.

id definately go with morrison anyway. i think hes done enough to start, based on previous international appearances. anyone else would be better than doherty. maybe duff is the best option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'd go with Con and Morrison - if it's not working bring on Doherty to scare them (and probably little else unfortunately).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by p.pete
    I'd go with Con and Morrison - if it's not working bring on Doherty to scare them (and probably little else unfortunately).

ohh!
    wash your mouth out with fairy liquid my son!

I'd have to go with Duff and Morrison. Mainly because I was never very fond of Doherthy, Lee only played a bit for Ireland and Connolly never scores for Ireland. Connolly just needs one goal to get his confidence back up and I wouldn't risk playing him in a match like this until he has that confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    ohh!
    wash your mouth out with fairy liquid my son!
    Without putting Duff up front what is your alternative suggestion? Maybe morrison by himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Doherty and Connolly start (bring on Clinton if need be)
    Duff in midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by LizardKing
    Doherty and Connolly start (bring on Clinton if need be)

Your saying that to get a rise out of us, no one could seriously contemplate that as a international strike force.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

We'll see ... Kerr has not got many options ... with hughtons influence he seems to be going with doherty , that leaves a choice between Morrison and Connolly .... I'm thinking kerr will go with Connolly then use clinton as another super sub....

If you can think of a better selection then post away ... remember no matter how much of a donkey doherty is he has scored some vital goals for us ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I'd go for morrison and connolly to start. Connolly played well in the aussie match, was unlucky not to get a goal too imo..

But without keane, its going to be a mighty tough match to win..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Kilbane on the left, Duffer up front with Clinton. But it will probably be The Duff up front with Doherty. Either way it will be duff up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

i dont think clinton morrison and david connolly is a good pairing up front. We play by crossing the ball a huge amount and there not exactly great headerers of the ball nor do they link up well. I would still like to see duff on the left. I would want connoly up front but at international levell he dosent score that much. doherthy good for a goal and i dont like clinton morrison but 5 goals in 11 internationls(mostly from the bench) speaks for itself and he should play. Hopefully reid and healy will play too and robbie is ready for the switz.

Graham Barrett is an option aswell.

I think Connolly is best used in the 4-3-1-2 formation as connolly is good at linking and holding up but just doesn't provide the same threat at international level as club.

Doherty wasn't given any areal service for the aussie game which was strange for an irish performance and really the only thing he is good for.

For me, Morrisson and Duff up front with kilbane on the left against russia.

Given

Carr, Cunningham, O'Shea, Finnan

Reid, Carsley(Delap), Kinsella, Kilbane

Morrison Duff

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Graham Barrett is an option aswell.

I think Connolly is best used in the 4-3-1-2 formation as connolly is good at linking and holding up but just doesn't provide the same threat at international level as club.

Doherty wasn't given any areal service for the aussie game which was strange for an irish performance and really the only thing he is good for.

For me, Morrisson and Duff up front with kilbane on the left against russia.

Given

Carr, Cunningham, O'Shea, Finnan

Reid, Carsley(Delap), Kinsella, Kilbane

Morrison Duff
    I think that is a good team except i'd have Healy and Holland in the middle. Mainly because Kinsella is not going to get his game at Villa and I never seen Delap playing for Ireland. Carsley is backup for Reid on the right.

Originally posted by eireboy
    I think that is a good team except i'd have Healy and Holland in the middle. Mainly because Kinsella is not going to get his game at Villa and I never seen Delap playing for Ireland. Carsley is backup for Reid on the right.

I think kinsella played well against Oz while Healy was nowhere to be seen.

Holland may be injured, but even if he is back, he doesn't get involved in build ups as well as Kinsella.

Carsley has been used on the right but he is a central midfielder and player very very well there for everton last season (aswell as on the right).

Finally, Delap is our current best performing premiership midfielder and I just don't understand why he is so overlooked when, having finally found his best position, he has performed well week in week out (I'm hoping it was due to his injury and that he will be included for Russia)!

From those available, the old adage is you play your best players in their best positions.

I think our best players in order are Delap, Carsley, Kinsella, Healy and Holland.

Advertisement