Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card protection\Purchasing item from UK problems

Options
  • 21-08-2003 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have another question, :)

I would like to purchase a Plasma Screen for around €3500 from the UK. Unfortunately they cannot do a Credit Check on customers in the Republic so the company refuses to allow me to use my VISA card. They use a 3rd party agency to do the check that had some difficulty understanding the relationship between Dublin, the Republic and "South Ireland".

They have said I could send a bank draft or money transfer to them. If I purchased a Sterling Bank Draft from Bank Of Ireland with my Credit Card, paid them and something went wrong with the transaction (ie fraud, some other scam etc) would I still be protected via my Credit Card?

Is there anyother way of this UK company doing a credit check on me?

Or does it all sound a bit iffy?

thanks,

Matt

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try getting a letter of reference from your bank. Or specificly allow them access to your credit history.

Be wary of drafts - they are little more secure than showing up with a big bad of twenty pound notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Personally if some one in the UK doesn't or can't figure out the relationship between IRL/REP/Nrth hes a bit of an idiot. But hey he'll obviously have no problems doing anything more complicated like a finance check. Yeah right.

If it sounds iffy, it probably is mate. Can you not buy from a bigger retailer how actually knows what they are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Well, hes blaming the Credit Checking company. Without them hes afraid to take a chance.

I got a quote and decent price from www.nexnix.co.uk, shipping to Ireland for just under £100 but decided it would be safer (physically safer in terms of shipping), cheaper and quicker to order a unit from www.richersounds.ie .... which is turning out to be a bit of a mistake.

Despite the fact that richersounds.ie clearly advertise and maintain their Plasma sales pages I have been told by them:

"Hi Matt, many thanks for the order.

Unfortunately we are presently unable to ship plasma TV's due to the cost of insurance for such an expensive TV.

We do have a staff member who occasionally travels from Belfast to Dublin. We may be able to send it with him.

Someone will call you regarding the bracket.

Regards"

This is after I mailed them a week ago to check this (they never replied - too busy they claim). I replied and told them their UK mainland competitors have no problems offering overseas shipping, so I find it rather stupid they cant manage cross border shipping for the same product. I have had no reply as of yet.

The situation with buying AV stuff in this country (or Island as the case may be) is a god damn joke.

Matt

PLasma screens are sold by places like Peats, Brown Thomas, and I'm sure Arnotts. Theres also lot of other places I'm sure too. Can you not find out who supplies them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    PLasma screens are sold by places like Peats, Brown Thomas, and I'm sure Arnotts. Theres also lot of other places I'm sure too. Can you not find out who supplies them?

Peats are a Sony disti and Sony screens a) arent great and b) are around 2x the price of better Panasonic etc screens.

Its unlikely finding out who supplies them is going to be useful, as they would be trade only.

matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I'm a bit ocnfused (nothing new there then:)), I assume you are too, Matt.

You want to buy something for 3 grand. Nothing wrong with that.

You want to pay by Visa. Nothing wrong with that.

Presumably they'll be using a recorede delivery service to deliver only to the cardholder at his home address (details held by the card issuers and freely available to check by all retailers). Nothing wrong with that.

Why do they feel the need to do a credit check then? You're not buying on credit - you're making a credit card transaction.

Seriusly this sounds rather dodgy to me, if they're pushing the idea of a bank draft. You'll have shag all comeback on that. I'm as doubtful as Ricardo and Victor about it.

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Peats are a Sony disti and Sony screens a) arent great and b) are around 2x the price of better Panasonic etc screens.

Its unlikely finding out who supplies them is going to be useful, as they would be trade only.

matt

Ok but what about those other shops. There has to people that supply and fit these screens other than sony.

Advertisement