Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemical Ali caught

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I would somehow doubt that the US will allow the Iraqi's to try him.....they would want him for themselves.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Or at least the UN should try him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

like the rest of the saddam's buddies he hasn't actually done anything to the americans so they may not be all that bothered about trying him although they could put him in camp delta i guess. The iraqi's haven't got anything resembling law and order so would be incapable of carrying out any sentence that wasn't death. The kurds would love to get their hands on him though.

Actually since he is accused of ordering the chemical attacks on the kurds in 1988 and being involved with the weapons programme subsequently surely he's a perfect target for a Hague Crimes against Humanity charge ?
    Probably the most politically astute thing the US could do, IMHO , ideally with a proviso that he serves his time in Iraq when such is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by growler
    like the rest of the saddam's buddies he hasn't actually done anything to the americans so they may not be all that bothered about trying him although they could put him in camp delta i guess. The iraqi's haven't got anything resembling law and order so would be incapable of carrying out any sentence that wasn't death. The kurds would love to get their hands on him though.

Actually since he is accused of ordering the chemical attacks on the kurds in 1988 and being involved with the weapons programme subsequently surely he's a perfect target for a Hague Crimes against Humanity charge ?
    Probably the most politically astute thing the US could do, IMHO , ideally with a proviso that he serves his time in Iraq when such is possible.

What's the bets that he will have an 'accident' or will 'try to escape and be shot'? I don't think the US regime would you like spilling the beans on who sold WMDs to Iraq in the 80s?

What's the bets that he will have an 'accident' or will 'try to escape and be shot'? I don't think the US regime would you like spilling the beans on who sold WMDs to Iraq in the 80s?

Ah but that was different- they were fighting a cruel and backward regime- or some ****.

But that is a very valid and intersting point-
    No that did not occur to us Dude.

rethinking the possibilities now....

As I think about it more well- if they are indeed still [or if they ever were] searching for said WMD's someone like Chemical Ali (can't shake off the image of Ali G in a shiney designer NCB suit!) would serve as a perfect candidate for "thorough interrogation" what ever that might entail. I'm sure the CIA would love to get their hands on him and would much rather make a deal with him than ship his ass to the Hague or wherever- where he would be made to tell the truth in a public forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Of course this was the same "dude" who was confirmed killed by the British a few months ago.
    I wonder if him and Rummy will be sharing a beer and talking about old times soon.
    It's a shame when ol' friends fight.

pfff! He was a Ba'ath party official! They all have body doubles- who happen to have the exact same DNA sequence- oooh those Iraqi's are are a cunning breed! :rolleyes:

Advertisement