Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a mobile in the States

• 21-08-2003 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

I'm going to the States next week and was thinking of picking up a new mobile at a half decent price.

First obvious question is, will it work back here once I put in the SIM from my current Nokia phone (Vodafone pay monthly option).

If this is a non-runner then so be it; otherwise, advise on type of phone I should go for would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

It will have to be a tri-band phone and there are only a few of these.
    6310i (already cheap as here)
    7250i

etc..

don't know all of them but others will, or check the web pages.

Plus chargers will have different plugs

and then warranties??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Dont vodafone offer a service where you can rent an american compatible phone and keep your number

this would be handy if your only going over for a short period though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Go to the Nokia USA & Motorola websites & look at the phones on offer there. All the info is there.
    Originally posted by skyway
    First obvious question is, will it work back here once I put in the SIM from my current Nokia phone (Vodafone pay monthly option)
    As long as you buy a tri-band phone, it'll work over here. Also, make sure that it's not locked to any American network.
    If this is a non-runner then so be it; otherwise, advise on type of phone I should go for would be much appreciated
    What do you intend to use it for? Purely for business? Or would you be looking for something with games & the likes. How much are you willing to spend etc. It would help if you were more specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 skyway

Thanks to everybody for their replies.

To be honest if there's no major price difference then I'll probably not bother with getting one over there.

However, I did logon to Vodafone and have discovered that I'm due an upgrade (I currently have a Nokia 3310 which has served me very well over the last few years).

There are several upgrade phones available but two in particular I liked were:

Nokia 6610 - available at upgrade discount price €179
    Nokia 7210 - available at upgrade discount price €174

What do people think of these two mobiles? Which is better? Pros and cons etc.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i got a sim free 7210 from expansys.us while in america, and i'm very happy with it, only the screen could be a bit better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

What do people think of these two mobiles? Which is better? Pros and cons etc.

they are both identical except for the exterior.

Very good mobiles, but the screens are a bit dark, id go for the 6610, because the D-pad on the 7210 is very annoying

Sean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

I have a 6610 which incidentally I'm selling in the FS Mobiles section and herself has a 7210

Identical except hers is very difficult to use because of the key layout as rabbitinlights points out and ALSO as carrotcake points out, the screen on hers is darker and it IS the phone and not the cover. Tried swapping covers around and no success.

I'd go for the 6610 even though I'm moving mine on after a couple of months, but that's just me. I bore of phones very quickly

Advertisement