Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentium 64 Bit proc. Question.

• 21-08-2003 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

When these come out is it most likely that they will use a completly different socket to a P4? Will you have to upgrade ure Mobo when trying to up grade? Just asking because Im thinking of getting a p4 2.0 Ghz pc for a good price.

P4 2.0 Ghz 533MHz FSB
    Intel Motherboard (3 PCI, AGP 8X)
    128MB DDR RAM
    ATI Radeon 64MB AGP 3D Card
    40GB 7200RPM HD
    Onboard Sound
    4X USB (2 Front-2 Rear)
    48X CD-ROM.
    Floppy, etc.
    Standard Tower, space for adding additional equipment (2 5.25" / 1 3.25" bays visible)

And im just wondering would it be better to wait out for the 64bits.. but im not intrested in spending over €800 and I would like to get a decent GFx card with my new set up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I wouldn't bother tbh, I'd imagine it'll be quite a while before a 64-bit processor is the norm. Seeing as applications need to be written specifically to take full advantage of a 64-bit intel chip, most games and apps will be aimed at 32-bit processors for the near future, until 64-bit processors really take off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

It'll definitely be a different socket. It's a completely different architecture. Intel haven't announced their plans for a 64bit desktop chip yet, so I'd say it's at least a year off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would agree, there is no point holding out for a 64 bit Intel processor that is aimed at home users. It will be sometime before it is released and will cost a massive amount. The new Opteron looks nice but I am sure what sort of benefits it offers, especially when using 32 bit applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Adren,
    The next Intel chip is the Prescott, due in November and starting at 3.4Ghz.
    As for compatibility, it all depends on what chipset the mobo is using. All currently sold i865G/i865PE and i875P-based Socket 478 mainboards are ready for Prescott.

So my Abit IS7 mobo should take me way over 4Ghz :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Originally posted by Sir Random
    Adren,
    The next Intel chip is the Prescott, due in November and starting at 3.4Ghz.
    As for compatibility, it all depends on what chipset the mobo is using. All currently sold i865G/i865PE and i875P-based Socket 478 mainboards are ready for Prescott.

So my Abit IS7 mobo should take me way over 4Ghz :)

You obviouslly haven't been keeping up to date on the Prescott...

• Advertisement
Advertisement