Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Scrum Rules

• 21-08-2003 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

The IRFU have are introducing news rules for scrums at Adult Club Rugby. Basically there making it similar to what U-14's play. Idiots!

New Rules

I.R.FU. Domestic Experimental Law Variation 2003/2004
    SCRUM: Adult Club Rugby

The U/19 Scrum Law Variations will apply to the following levels of Adult Club Rugby:

All Ireland League Clubs 3rd team level & below

Qualifying League Clubs 2nd team level & below

All Club teams below Qualifying League level

U/20 Teams

WHY?

To make scrummaging more stable and safer. To maintain main principles of scrummaging. To encourage continuity of play.

WHAT?

Front rows coming together. Each prop must touch the opponent’s upper arm and then pause before the front rows meet. The sequence should be: Crouch, touch, pause, engage. No wheeling. A team must not intentionally wheel a scrum. Penalty: Penalty Kick No Turnover. If a wheel reaches 45 degrees, the referee must stop play. If the wheel is unintentional, the referee orders another scrum at the place where the scrum is stopped. The same team throw the ball in. Maximum 1.5 metres push. A team in a scrum must not push the scrum more than 1.5 metres towards their opponents’ goal-line. Penalty: Free Kick Ball must be released from the scrum. A player must not intentionally keep the ball in the scrum once the player’s team has heeled the ball and controls it at the base of the scrum. (The No. 8 is the only forward allowed to pick up the ball in the scrum) Penalty: Free Kick

FORMATION & REPLACEMENT DETAIL

In an 8 person scrum the formation must be 3-4-1, with the single player (Normally the number 8) shoving on the 2 locks. The locks must pack with their heads on either side of the hooker.

Exception: A team must have fewer than eight players in its scrum when either the team cannot field a complete team, or a player is sent off for Foul Play, or a player leaves the field because of injury.

Even allowing for this exception, each team must always have at least five players in a scrum.

If a team is incomplete, the scrum formation, the scrum formation must be as follows:

If a team is without one player, then both teams must use a 3-4 formation (i.e. no No.8).

If a team is without two players, then both teams must use a 3-2-1 formation (i.e. no flankers).

If a team is without three players, then both teams must use a 3-2 formation (i.e. only front rows and locks).

When a normal scrum takes place, the players in the three front row positions and the two lock positions must have been suitably trained for these positions. If a team cannot field such suitably trained players because: either they are not available, or a player in one of those five positions is injured or has been sent off for Foul Play and no suitably trained replacement is available, then the referee must order uncontested scrums.

In an uncontested scrum, the teams do not compete for the ball. The team putting in the ball must win it. Neither team is allowed to push the other team away from the mark.

To be honest im disgusted, there was nothing better than turning your opposittions scrum on their 5 metre and then getting a try from the resulting scrum.
    i think these rules will make the games less exciting to play and watch and result in more stupid penalties and less tries.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

its ridiculous!!!

What sort of interpretation is a ref going to make of these rules??
    How is a front row going to know if it has gone 1.5 metres???
    it's stupid and no longer gives a team who has a man advantage (i.e. the other team have had a player sent off) in the scrum!!!

NO Flankers!!!, No Number 8!!! have they gone mad.

I have played many games where a club cant field a full team!
    and now they say if they have no replacement 2nd row it's uncontested! i dont like it at all!!

The same for turning the scrum. i love turning a scrum.

It looks like they are putting the back row out of action ( Playing back row myself) i'm going to be out in the cold with the backs if there team is missing a forward? i dont like that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

This the most stupid rule ive heard of how the f**k can a game flow when the ref will prob have to reset every single scrum or how are the forwards goin to no how far they have moved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

i know these rules are crap, if anything they are going to result in more penalties! They might as well make the scrums uncontested with these rules because the chances of a steal, with no turn and only 1.5m push are slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yeah does new rules do sound pretty stupid alright. And there is:
    To make scrummaging more stable and safer. To maintain main principles of scrummaging. To encourage continuity of play.

thats bollocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

it seems now this rule is only going to apply to 2nd and 3rd teams and youth teams.
    Not to 1st's so thanks goodness for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

no.. no ...no Not the FLANKERS, i loves me open side posistion

Advertisement