Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, is it OK to boo?

• 21-08-2003 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

This is a poll which is a follow up from the thread about booing Rangers players at Lansdowne Road. Excluding anything to do with UEFA, just pretend they aren't involved. Do you think people should be allowed boo players from a rival club at an international match?

BTW if you want to post a reply use this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110917&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Should Celtic fans be allowed boo Rangers players at an Ireland match? 12 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's not really a question of whether they should be 'allowed' to my mind, more a matter of 'should a certain element in the crowd cop on to themselves?'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Originally posted by irish life
    Do you think people should be allowed boo players from a rival club at an international match?

[/url]

Cant resist .....fingers typing ....... so much wrong with that ....

OK so im a dumbass and i read this and i ponder one thing at an International match which i take it as an Irish game you boo players from a rival club.
    Which happens to be a club not Irish but from another country now if at an Irish match and your booing Liverpool players because your a Man Utd fan at an Irish match where is the logic in that ????

:confused:

Me bets not one person finds anything weird with that.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

If Celtic heads want to boo rangers players they should go to SPL. That stuff has no place at irish international games.

The motives behind the booing are purely secterian. Rangers players are being booed because they are playing for a protestant club.

As i villa fan i wasnt booing Lazardis on the basis that he plays for birmingham city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    It's not really a question of whether they should be 'allowed' to my mind, more a matter of 'should a certain element in the crowd cop on to themselves?'.

Exactly. This single post sums up the whole argument in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

a 'certain element'? its a few thousand, not a few hundred. maybe a certain element of the crowd, media and rte commentry team should relax and stop getting worked up over nothing.

after all, fran rooney, ceo of fai has said in the past, booing is fine so long as its not directed at someone because of their race or religious affiliation. so according to him, he says its fine as the booing doesnt fall under either of these.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by smemon
    a 'certain element'? its a few thousand, not a few hundred. maybe a certain element of the crowd, media and rte commentry team should relax and stop getting worked up over nothing.

after all, fran rooney, ceo of fai has said in the past, booing is fine so long as its not directed at someone because of their race or religious affiliation. so according to him, he says its fine as the booing doesnt fall under either of these.

No offence, but are you dense? How can you say this booing is not down to religious affiliation?

These players are being booed because they play for Rangers, a club with a Protestant ethos, with a previous policy of not signing Catholics. Whether the player themselves is a Catholic, Protestant, Hindu, Scientologist or atheist seems to matter not to the booers at Lansdowne Road.

The patriotic Celtic heads in the audience, despite not giving a toss about Catholicism or anything related to it, in the main, are booing them because they play for a club perceived as being hardline Protestant. So they just have to do their precious little bit to keep up the sectarian Catholic/Protestant rivalry.

You don't even know why you're booing, do you smemon?

i dont support booing rangers players based on religion. i support it based on RIVALRY.

as a celtic fan, i couldnt care less what religion rangers or their players are. they're our rivals and thats why i booh. if rangers were a catholic club, i'd still be booing them. people dont understand its not down to religion, just rivalry as ive said a million times before.

because there are so many celtic fans at landsdowne, ie, a majority, the rangers players get booed. i dont know what other peoples motives are for booing, but mine arent based on religion. is it my fault our arch rivals happen to be protestant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

as a celtic fan, i couldnt care less what religion rangers or their players are. they're our rivals and thats why i booh. if rangers were a catholic club, i'd still be booing them. people dont understand its not down to religion, just rivalry as ive said a million times before.

You don't go to Lansdowne to watch Celtic, you go to watch your country - leave the Old Firm rivalry at home.

thats a fair point, but the few thousand other celtic fans i doubt would agree.

its been going on for the past few years now, once it starts its very difficult to stop. only a formal warning from uefa, or fifa could stop it. if uefa take no action, its pressumably not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭talla

so smemon, u also have claimed to be a united fan in a lot of threads on this board, so why arent u booing Viduka(leeds, one of united fiercest rivals),Emerton(Blackburn, another one of uniteds rivals), kewell if he had of played(liverpool another one of Uniteds rivals),tiato(Man City, do I need to explain there?) and on the Irish team harte(leeds) finnan(liverpool) etc etc., so it has f**k all to do with rivalry and its the same with the rest of the Celtic fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

That's already been explained on the other thread, its because there wouldn't be many people booing if it was Man U fans, or Chelsea fans, so he'd look silly...its just that there are so many Celtic fans, so obviously they must be right...:rolleyes:

i dont support booing rangers players based on religion. i support it based on RIVALRY.

because there are so many celtic fans at landsdowne, ie, a majority, the rangers players get booed. i dont know what other peoples motives are for booing, but mine arent based on religion. is it my fault our arch rivals happen to be protestant?

smemon, Rangers are Celtic's rivals BECAUSE they are Protestant, not because they happen to be Protestant. You can make all the excuses you like, it' sectarian small-mindedness that's at the root of this ignorant behaviour.

And why don't all these Celtic fans sod off to Parkhead and watch Celtic there, they seem to be a bit confused on this issue :rolleyes:

im not confused at all on this issue, in fact i seem to know more about it than most people. your branding all celtic irish fans sectarian, just because our rivals happen to be protestant.

if you understood football at all, you'd accept its rivalry and not down to religion. is it not 'small minded' to automatically assume we hate rangers becuse their protestant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭talla

smemeon, i see you choose to totally ignore my post about "rivalry"

And where exactly did I brand all Irish Celtic fans sectarian? As far as I can see I'm referring to the ones at Lansdowne Road who boo a player at international level because of the club he plays for.

This booing is strictly confined to Rangers players, not Leeds, Man U, Newcastle, Liverpool, Arsenal, or anyone else you care to name. Of course some Celtic supporters seem to think their rivalry with Rangers is the greatest in football. It's anything but.

Advertisement