Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copyright control

Options
  • 21-08-2003 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

eventually got around to geting the king of leon album only to find out it has coyright control. when you put the album in youre pc a special player comes up and you have to play it via that you can use youre own players.
    this means you cant burn it to the computor. I speed a lot of my music listing time listing via my computor I dont want to have to have the disc in at the same time what if I want to play a game at the same time?
    I usally have all my albums saved on the computor and listin to a file with my favourites on I cant ad any kings of lean tracks to this. But most of my music listong is done via my net md I cant transfer kings of leon to this as I cant burn it.
    Granted I could use an optical cable and record it to md that way but that has to be dont in real time and I cant do my usaly practice of transfering the music I want to listin to on to 2 md and heading out.
    At the moment its just an inconvience but if the trend continues ir will be imposible to listin to music on my computor without a big pile of cd's beside me and ill have to have all my albums individually on md which will take up loads of discs and space which is why I got a net md in the first place.
    What other artists/label are doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Copyright protection is really crappy. I don't see the point in the thing, as people will find a way to get this music on their computers and file-sharing apps - it just causes inconvinience for most people. And if record labels are trying to cut down on "internet piracy", why am I forced to download "Hail to the Theif" because I can't rip any of its songs to my MP3 player?

Heres a good site on the whole ordeal; www.copyprotectionsucks.co.uk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

first off, hail to the thief sux. thats why you can't rip it. thom knows that if people listen close enough to the album they'll (easily) figure out where he nicked all the songs from.

second of all, as regards the kings of leon, the really long way of getting around your problem is to record the album onto the minidisc, then record it onto the computer, save as mp3, ogg, whatever and the tracks are there whenever you want them after that. its having to record the album (in real time) twice that sux. but if you've nothing better to do on a saturday.....

or you could get a portable CD player and hook that up to your sound card then press play on the player and record on the computer and save as blah blah blah. theres loads of software that'll record from the line-in on your sound card. this second method reduces the amount of times that the album has to be recorded (in real time) from 2 down to 1, but unfortunately requires the presence of a second CD player (besides the drive in your pc).

probably none of this helps, but there probably isnt an easy way to fix what took a team of researchers and programmers months to come up with.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I managed to rip Kings Of Leon first time using CD-DA Extractor, it did note there was a data track there but it ignored that and ripped away...

This CC crap is starting to annoy me, i had to send 2 CDs back to CDwow because of it, The Thrills - So Much For The City and The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots.

It's like I'm being penalised for BUYING music instead of downloading it from Morpheus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

There are programs that rip cds no matter what protection they have some tell the cd thats it a normal CD player etc:

Shouldnt be to hard to find them.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Thats strange both my versions of hail to the theif and yosimi battles the pink robots dont have coyright protection if they are starting to put it an all new stock and not just on new releases then Its going to become extremly anoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Thats strange both my versions of hail to the theif and yosimi battles the pink robots dont have coyright protection if they are starting to put it an all new stock and not just on new releases then Its going to become extremly anoying.

I think there are different versions of HTTT throughout Europe. I got my copy in Italy where it had copy protection, while in the UK and Ireland I believe they're unaffected. Don't know about other European countries though.

Advertisement