Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap 120 gig hard drive at komplett

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

yup - got me one the other day... sitting in an optical bay with 3 fans blowing kisses over it... oh yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

That drive looks like great value alright ... €113 + p&p for a 120GB drive .... a euro per gig ... hopefully this will become a more common sight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dragon_ninja82

www.jaguarcompsys.ie have a 120 gig hard drive going for €99 :ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

Dragon_ninja, it's 99e EX VAT. Add 21e onto that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dragon_ninja82

opps didnt see that, still you'll save yourself around 5 euro when you take into account postage from komplett :ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

They have one for €99 this week...if I remember correctly the other one has 8mb of cache....this one has 2mb, still 7200rpmz tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Has anyone had any difficulties "Partitioning" the 120GB Western Digital drive. If not what software did you use t oPartition it?

I tried with Partition Magic 7 but it refuses to do so.

Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭slartibardfast

just use fdisk under Windows 9x or the built in disk managment function with Windows 2000/XP (under control panel\administrative tools\computer managment\storage\disk managment)

I'd only use NTFS with a disk so big, which rules out Windows 9x for me.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

Thanks for replying. I got PM 8 to-day and it looks like it's gonna work out ok. Thanks again.

Mick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

can u format a disk into NTFS from XP?
    What can u use to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

colin 300 :

Yes you can, using de command Convert you can make a FAT 16 or 32 in to NTFS in a blink, without exiting windows XP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

this hard drive is the business if you're thinking of customising your x-box. great value. Think I'll be ordering one.

On another point, I lost the disk administrator tool in XP. any ideas how to re-install it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Dudara,

It's under (Control Panel) > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Managment.

If it's not there, try Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components.

colin300:

Convert will do what is says on an existing FAT drive, otherwise you need to partition and format. Note that a converted drive will likely have a non-optimal cluster size so you are better off formatting if you have the option (eg. if it's a new install).

How would I convert it to ntfs without XP on the drive then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

you could slave the drive on a machine with xp or win2k or use partition magic

Colin,

Please tell us exactly what you want to do. If you have XP/2000/NT already, you can format the drive as NTFS easily through the OS, without using any third party tools. If you are using 95/98/ME, these OSes can't read NTFS so there would be no point formatting it as NTFS anyway.

What I want to do is format a drive into NTFS from FAT32 without an operating system on the drive.
    I will be using XP.

Is there anything that can do this without xp it would probably be on a floppy disk.

Do you have the hard disk already, with data that you want to keep, in FAT32? Is there an OS currently on the drive?

Or is it a new hard disk?

Originally posted by colin300
    What I want to do is format a drive into NTFS from FAT32 without an operating system on the drive.
    I will be using XP.

Is there anything that can do this without xp it would probably be on a floppy disk.

if you are gonna be installing xp on that drive you will be given an option during setup to convert it to ntfs

• Advertisement

its new I wouldn't like to try it with a old one with stuff already on it because it really can't work correctly with stuff on the drive for instance stuff like partition magic doesn't work well in my eyes.

If it is new, it isn't formatted at all, so there is no issue of 'converting' from FAT to NTFS.

Ok - is it going to be the only hard drive in the system or is it a second one?

Presuming it is the only hard drive, the XP install CD will sort it all out for you. Just boot from the CD and away you go, just select NTFS when you are given the choice.

Yeah its the only hard drive on the system thanks.

On the question of booting from the cd how would this be done because I have a XP Home cd with SP1 on it but the thing doesn't boot and I've tried all the stuff on the net using nero and easy cd creator.

Can anyone help me on this matter?

Originally posted by colin300
    Yeah its the only hard drive on the system thanks.

On the question of booting from the cd how would this be done because I have a XP Home cd with SP1 on it but the thing doesn't boot and I've tried all the stuff on the net using nero and easy cd creator.

Can anyone help me on this matter?

if its a bootable cd go into the bios and set the boot order to boot off cd rom drive first, then boot with the cd in the drive, if it's a bootable cd it will boot,
    if its not it won't and you will have to boot off a floppy disk that has cd rom support, go to the cd rom drive and run winnt in the i386 folder

I'm sensing from your mention of CD burning programs that this may not be a legit copy of XP :rolleyes: - the legit copies are all bootable and I'm taking a guess that it isn't a hardware or BIOS problem. Apologies if I'm wrong. bananayoghurt's suggestion of the floppies is probably your best bet - Microsoft actually have a downloadable floppy set for this purpose - have a look at http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q310/9/94.asp

it is a legit copy. I got it wit my computer from dell.

Its not that anytime i try booting straight from a cd i get no luck but i've never tried booting the cd first that might work for me.
    I have the set of floppys but that is just a big mess 6 floppys to boot to a floppy thats a bloody joke instead of one for 98.

In that case, is it possible that the CD is a recovery disk rather than a copy of Windows XP, e.g. a disk with Windows XP embedded in it but not a standard Windows XP disk? Did your computer not come with XP already installed if Dell supplied you with the OS disk?

Or are you trying to replace the existing Dell hard disk with a new one? (In this case I would recommend leaving the existing XP installation alone and just installing the new hard disk as a second hard disk).

EDIT - note that if it's an upgrade, you won't be able to install XP on a blank disk, you will have to install it on one with a previous OS already there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

for your dell comp keep pressing f12 when you turn on your computer until you get to a screen that allows you to choose to boot from your cd

yeah it was embedded that was the problem that was why i wanted to make the cd bootable because it doesn't boot. Also because I have a mate that has dell laptop and he got the blaster virus and he couldn't boot directly from the cd so he had to install 98 first.

• Advertisement

What does the disc say on it - something like 'Dell Restore Disc for Optiplex ...' or 'Microsoft Windows XP'. The restore discs will only work on the original computer, very possibly only on the original hard disk - they work by wiping the hard disk with a factory image.

If you put the disc in to a working computer, what does it do?

Advertisement