Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap 120 gig hard drive at komplett

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

comes up with install screen for XP.
    Reinstallation disk it says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Please explain a little more about the computer you want to install it on, as per above - does it not already have XP on it?

no you see its the same as above with my mate he had format the drive because the blaster virus got to it and he couldn't boot from the cd so I just want to tell him how to make a bootable version because he got very annoyed have to sit through 2 installs as i'm sure you would be to.

I think your best bet is the six floppy disk option, it's hardly the end of the world. Certainly it would be easier than making a non-bootable Windows XP CD bootable (this is possible, it's just not as easy as the six floppy disk option).

The six floppy disks don't install XP, they just start the computer up, you then use the CD as normal. So there is no issue of installing XP twice.

Is the disc you are trying to use to reinstall XP the one that came with your friend's computer?

if you mean was the copy he used was it his yes it was.
    He bought a laptop.
    I have a PC.

So I have a XP cd and so does he.

• Advertisement

I'm just asking as OEM restore discs are generally tied to the particular model of computer, a disc for another computer model won't work. I'd recommend the six floppy disk option - it might be worth ringing Dell support and asking them what specifically to do, they would know better than us if it is a Dell-specific disc.

yeah i'll give it a shot.

Advertisement