Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Subjects To Repeat?

Options
  • 21-08-2003 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Evening All, just was wondering, I'm going to have to repeat and was wondering what are good point subjects to pick up in a year?
    I've heard geography was easy enough, someone mentioned home economics also? any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If you want 600 points, do
    Maths/English (depending on person)
    Language if you speak on fluently, otherwise forget it.

Chemistry
    Physics
    Economics
    Geography

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I did the LCVP and found it a pretty easy way to pick up an extra 20-50/70 points for bugger all work. Most of the work is a portfolio you put together, things like your CV, typed formal letter, a "summary report" on some activity, stuff like that.

The exam itself (held a few weeks before the real LC exams) is piss easy. It has three parts, the first is the audio visual. Watch a video, and answer the questions. It's just copying things straight from the interviews on the tape, someone will say "here at company x we employ 300" and the corresponding question is "How many employees does company x have?"

Seriously. :)

Second part is a "case study" - kinda like the video, but not quite as clear as the video. Third part is just general questions, very much like a simple Business exam.

There's only one level, and there are three grades: Pass, Merit and Distinction.
    Universities see these as: 20, 30 and 50 points, and the ITs see it as 30, 50 and 70 points, I think. Something like that. I'd recommend doing it. Get the portfolio out of your way in the first two weeks and forget it, then a few hours looking at the past papers before the written exam, and you're sorted. Look at things like lcvp.ie for info on how the portfolio should be constructed.

I did geography, and it really all depends on your memory and your ability to argue a point well. For each quesion you usually make two/three main points and go on to develop these in detail. If you're any good at that, you'll find this easy. Dead boring subject though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

Do history, it's so easy to predict what essays are going to come up, then just learn a few of them off, plus you'll get full marks on ur special topic (1/5 of the test).

boring but should be 90 - 100 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

phaxx the lcvp course just got a lot harder. Our year was the last year that it was easy. I never did it, but there was a lot of talk in the school about the course being tough-ified for next years exams :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

IIRC, your scores are valid for at least a year, so repeat whatever you did worst in, bring those up to the level of your better subjects. No sense in repeating something you did well in, you might do worse the next time...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Originally posted by canker
    Do history, it's so easy to predict what essays are going to come up, then just learn a few of them off, plus you'll get full marks on ur special topic (1/5 of the test).

boring but should be 90 - 100 points!

Ya what?! That's the first time I've ever heard history described as 'easy' - if you've done the course already then go for it as a repeat subject, but if you haven't - well, the course is pretty damn long, so no point in putting the pressure on yourself to finish it in a year and get an A or whatever it is you want.

Same with biology - long course (and a new course this year) so avoid it. Accounting's a good one if you have an aptitude for numbers - a lot of it is just expanding on the JC stuff and most of the different types of accounts are pretty similiar, plus they do give attempt marks even if you make mistakes, as they do in maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I concur History is the Hardest subject I did it's long and tough but if you can risk it and guess what's coming up and learn it off then give it a try but that's a risky thing to do even if you're not repeating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Originally posted by Sarky
    IIRC, your scores are valid for at least a year, so repeat whatever you did worst in, bring those up to the level of your better subjects. No sense in repeating something you did well in, you might do worse the next time...

nope, you cant mix and match subjects done in different years for points. Can drop english / maths / irish / french though if he passed them as hes matriculated and doesnt need to pass em again.

Id recommend doing:
    history
    geography
    economics
    business
    english
    french

...but thats just my personal opinion (Ive been doing them for the last year and theyre all really quite easy :P)

If you are good at english do :

English
    Classics
    Geography
    Economics
    Business
    Chemistry(the easiest science by far)

If you are good at maths do :

Maths
    Applied Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Economics
    Accounting

There is daves recommendations :D
    Unless you are willing to put in the work for classics dont do it, its a long hard road to an A1. But its very very easy to get a B1 in it, jokingly easy like.

Economics/Chemistry/Physics/Geography is just memorisation and writing it really fast on the day, nothing more.

If you havn't picked a school, GO TO THE INSTITUTE!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭canker

the course is pretty damn long

only if you do all of it and do it properly. You can predict all the questions, if you look at the past papers there is an obvious pattern. Then just buy the LC history essays books and write a few similar to them and learn them off! I didn't do that last year, I had predicted all the questions but I learned the whole course anyway coz i was afraid i'd be wrong and I only got a B. If I had just concentrated on the essays I had predicted I'd of had full marks, no problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

emmm was thinking about these subjects:

english - i like english :)
    math - eep need a better grade in it to get me course :)
    irish - just for the hell of it :) probably drop it if i don't have the time
    german - deutsch is gut
    physics - my head is imploding, but i'd like to do better in it
    business studies - point subject
    geography - point subject
    and possably even home ecc :P hehe, looks piss easy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Xerxes

If you are looking for an easy points subject then do Agricultural Science.I did it this year and got a B in it.There is a project for 25% of the marks going.It does not go heavy into science and there is nothing especially hard in it.You get away with loads of stuff in it.They are not even very strict on marking the projects, most of the class got 20-25% in it for little work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by PHB

Chemistry(the easiest science by far)

I always thought physics was easier. When I did it there seemed to be a lot less learning in it and the mathematical parts were sweet 95% of the time.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hmm, institute or ashfield for me, just got to decide how far i really want to be travelling, ashfield is just down the road ;/ .

ashfield sucks :)
    Institute rocks!
    Similar prices institute is much much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Personally I'd say taking up new subjects on repeating is asking for trouble, but yeah having done both phys and chem I'd say chem is so much easier and even in terms of learning you don't need to do the option in chem and you only lose a really small part of the choice of the paper but in phys its an entire questions worth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

well made my choices tuesday anyways, stuck with the ones i did last year and added on 1 other. As soon as I said I was going to go for a points subject the teacher taking my details said Home Ecc, hehe.
    So my subjects are:
    English
    Maths
    Irish
    German
    Physics
    Business Studies
    + Home Economics

:) hopefully i'll do better this time round :P

This year in physics, the option isn't definate unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

gud luck bob :)

whats dat institute, like a grind school?

i luv looking in the papers now and seeing da grind school ads proundly displayin their students who i did better dan :p suckers

still aint convinced my parents to give me the money they saved not sendin me to grinds tho...damn them and their logic

Advertisement