Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX Card Voltage???

• 21-08-2003 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

Are all GFX cards 1.5 volts? Paritcurlarly the Ge-Force 4 Mx600 128MB?? Motherboard has a dirty red sticker over the AGP slot warning ONLY to use 1.5 volt cards. It's something I've never come accross before...

Any ideas as to how I'd find out?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

most new graphic cards are 1.5volts as compared to older ones which are 3volts! i think you're safe with that card, just to be sure check the specs on your card using either the box and manual you got with it or google it/check manufactures website. anything around the geforce 2 / tnt2 and below are 3 volts. check your manual just to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Hmm - The graphics card has a jumper setting on it. Jumper either sets it to 4x or 2x. 4x is grand as apparently this is the 1.5v I'm looking for.

2x will f*ck things up nicely however.....

I'm not having much luck on the net trying to find out at the moment (the Gainward site is SH1TE). I'll keep looking I guess....
    Any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

In any case, if the manufacturers have done their job you shouldn't be able to put a 3.3v card into a 1.5v-only slot.

Some cards can run at both voltages.
    Your GeForce 4 should certainly run at 1.5 at 4X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

My GFX card runs as 2.5 volts. Ti 4200 Gefroce 4 4x agp.
    but im running it at 2.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by nadir
    My GFX card runs as 2.5 volts. Ti 4200 Gefroce 4 4x agp.
    but im running it at 2.7
    is that the voltage your card runs at or is that the voltage you're supplying to your card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Its the Voltage supplied thru the agp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

For future reference, 2x cards run at 2.something 4x cards run at 1.5 and 8x rund at point something.....

So a 2x card was what the motherboard manufacturer was warning against...

Advertisement