Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Disc or MP3 player?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Yeah, but these days thats not a problem. Everyone has a computer and if they dont their neighbour has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by denis_o_leary
    Yeah, but these days thats not a problem. Everyone has a computer and if they dont their neighbour has one.

Knock knock, excuse mr smith can I rip a copy of my entire CD collection on your PC? Will only take a few days....can't really see that somehow. I know lots of people who work in IT who don't have PC's at home. Those that don't work in IT are even less likely to have a PC. Of those theres only a minority that could be bothered with MP3's.

Personally my move from cassette/CD to MP3/MD has meant its a lot LESS easy to quickly grab an album or track to bring with me if its not already on my portable player. I end up with the same albums all the time because I never get around to changing them. I think a CD/MP3 portable would be much hander. Bit big to carry though. Which is why I never replaced my old one when it died 5 years ago. Been considering another one lately though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The whole process of recording an album to Minidisc is a pain in the ring, even with the new NetMD yokes.

The ability to treat most MP3 playes like hard disks is their best feature. I have 3 different mini disc machines and an MP3 player with 64 mb of memory, and I use the MP3 player. So much handier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    The whole process of recording an album to Minidisc is a pain in the ring, even with the new NetMD yokes.
    Have to agree - converting everything to ATRAC is a bit of a pain. It means that you can't do a disc quickly. In fact, I'd say my 8x CD-RW from 2000 can record a CD faster than recording a CD/buncha mp3s to a MiniDisc.

Converting a CD to MP3 or a CD to MD should take the same time. Unless you are using PC to go to MP3 first then on to the MD. I could understand why you'd think it was a pain if you were doing that. The Sony MD software is pants. Incidentally if you have an Audio unit that can copy from CD to MD thats a lot handier. Don't even need a PC then.

jesus_thats_gre ..you selling those 3 MD units then?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by Catsmokinpot
    i loves me ZEN

download the creative file manager that will sort it out NB. you cant put mp3s on that way you have to use the playcentre
    Firstly, thats still a pain in the hole , espically for college users as you can't add the zen to the machine because its not a usb/firewire drive like the ipod
    with the eax features and the 14 hr battery life i think its the most value for money, i like the iPod because its easier to use but its waaaaaaaaaay too expensive. it costs the same for a 10 gig iPod as it does for a 20gig ZEN and the battery doesnt last as long either.
    the batt life is lovely on mine i must say, but the price difference ain't that huge, if you get the fm wired remote and such and if u can pick up an ipod off a good place came down roughly the same price for a 20gb ipod and a 20gb zen when meself an a m8 compared(i've a zen he's an ipod...)

I've the zen firewire and usb combo because suits my needs really i've firewire pcmcia cards and all pc's have usb. So really it depends on what interfaces mostly imo.
    edit: minidiscs are ok but in the long run mp3 players are way way better

Well personally i prefer mp3 players due to the media management on them, but it depends on your collection size and how often you would wanting to be changing the tracks and so on.

And someone said about mp3 player size, last i saw ya can pick up 80gb zen's which equates to god knows how many MD's :) And incase anyone asks it'd be easily filled imo, my 20gb ain't big enough at all....

I like the way creative give ye lotsa good ole classical on the device when ye get it too... nice thing

Converting a CD to MP3 or a CD to MD should take the same time.
    Wouldn't that depend on the compression and such? Fast comp with a firewire/usb2.0 connection to an mp3 player i would recon would be faster from a cd than writing onto a MD player....all depends on the setup tho....

To get the CD's on the MP3 player you have to get them on the PC first. So you can add that to the time too.

You don't HAVE to do that with a MD if your stereo can record from CD to MD directly without a PC.

So if you've no PC you can use a MD. You NEED a pc with a MP3 player.

Imagine you walk in from HMV with a new CD. How quick is each to get from the CD onto you portable player MD or MP3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Bah, I recommend getting a CD (Philips) Walkman that can Play MP3-CD's

Will do the job just fine, presuming you have a PC with a CDRW Drive.

I'm coming around to that way of thinking too. Though I think I'll keep the MD to record any analog sources that I want. (tis handy for that). I Backup all my MP3's on CD anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

I tried to work it out one day, how much you can store on 1 CD-R

4 mins for an adverage song, at High Quality is 4mb, so around 175 songs on one 70cent CD-R.

Not bad at all If you ask me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

I apoligise but I really couldn't be arsed reading thru all this...

Mines a Panasonic- MP3/CD jobbie.
    Kept me sane for months on end- nothing like having your 1st Aid CD with all your fav albums on one CD.

I bought a Sony MD player aaages ago when CDR's were these new freaky things that I'd never afford. Of course the stupid bastards never gave me the SPDIF cable meaning I couldn't copy things digitally.

It was handy for a while, but like all Sony products they go the way of the Walkman and just break down forever.
    MD was a great format but CDR killed it. Editing I found really easy, you could snip here, snip there- great.

Only problem it's a lossier format than CD because of the compression it uses. It tends to flatten out some sounds, flatter others and make some harmonics dissappear completly.
    Usually only anal audio geeks like myself would notice this sorta thing- although there is a noticible difference if you listen to live performances on CD v MD.

MD is dead, pity, you might as well buy a DCC cassette. (Phillips' rival to the digital recordable standard) or a shaggin' reel to reel player.

Advertisement