Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP -> Windows 2k

Options
  • 22-08-2003 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭

has any one done this before?
    i need to try and keep and the old setting's on the system, network domains, etc etc

any tips/hints?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have never done it, nor would I try it.. I am predicting it to be a complete nightmare. Sorry I cant help, good luck though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

1st tip I guess is, that Ghost, or Drive Image (My Fav) is your friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

how come?
    what more do they do then make a backup/clone of the drive i already have?

I think you've answered your own question :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

What exactly are you asking ? It's not very clear.

Do you want to move from XP to 2K as in downgrade ?
    Do you want to dual boot ?
    What old settings is it that you want to keep ?

• Advertisement

xp is currently the only operating system on the laptop.
    i want just w2k as OS

xp currently has domain settings (ie on the screen when you login that you can select which domain to login to)

these i'd like to keep/migrate in

i've got another couple of pc's that i can back stuff up to while the "migration" happens

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There's no downgrade path.

Can't you just jot down the few network settings on to old fashioned flattened bleached wood pulp?

i remeber an article about downgrading about a year ago, cant remember for the life of me where i saw it.

it is possible from what i remember, but its REALLY messy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,401 ✭✭✭ando

you'll end up tearing your hair out if you try downgrading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

sceptre
    There's no downgrade path.

that is incorrect

there are 2 utilities proved by microsoft for exactly this..

user state migration tool is one..
    have to read my notes for the other utility..

it allows you to migrate your exact personal settings from one profile to another.

you will have to use the utility to create the backup..
    wipe xp off your machine..
    clean install 2k..
    and then use utility again to import utility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

GUI, if you wipe and install a different OS (even after backing up "personal settings"), that's hardly a "downgrade path" now is it?:) Thereis no downgrade path short of open OS surgery, though hopefully the utility you've mentioned will help (I'm too lazy to look it up without a link).

Go look up what an upgrade path and downgrade path are on the Interweb, there's a good chap:).

Micr0, if you're using a more recent version of Office there's a Save Your Settings utility supplied. It's certainly there in office XP, can't remember if it's there in 2000. This will at least take care of any Office customisations you've taken the trouble to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by sceptre
    Micr0, if you're using a more recent version of Office there's a Save Your Settings utility supplied. It's certainly there in office XP, can't remember if it's there in 2000. This will at least take care of any Office customisations you've taken the trouble to make.

It's just in Office XP, nothing similar (built in anyway) for Office 2000. You'd think someone would have created a piece of software for migrating settings from one version of Windows to another, or within the same version (although I know XP has - and about time), by now. I never ghost my drive because I keep fiddling round with my partitions, but it would be handy to have all the different customisations available on a cd or fd to put on a clean install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

sceptre

i was talking in relation to the guys profile..

i am quite aware of downgrade upgrade paths

My Solution
    • i created the bookdisks in W-XP
    • format c: using a boot disk
    • re created the partition using fdisk
    • scandisk /all /autofix /nosave
    • booted of the disks
    • away we go :-)

shortcuts are never shorter are they?

Thanks for all the above

Advertisement