Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You're very big with your mates...

Options
  • 12-04-1999 3:51pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

CW and DD both beat CG last night. I cant say I enjoyed the games but you both got the wins so fair dues.

There was a lot of dubious tactics I felt but everyone else seems to think that doing whatever it takes to win is fair enough.
    so be it. I have a new challenge for ye smile.gif

Jaden and I have been talking about it and we think this might be a little more fun then "take an area and spam the doors"

CG v DD 1 v 1
    Same players. Same level. We put one CGer into the level with one DDer at a time.
    Interesting twist? I think it might actually be fun!

So if DD will stoop to play so inferior a team as CG then next weekend sounds good to us. You guys on for it?

(same thing goes for CW, but someone will have to go and tell Blade he can come down from the RA now, as the game is over already...)

DeV The **** Stirrer...

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's nowt to do with me, but I know someone's gonna want to say this, so I want to say it first...

TAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEEEEEE IT CG!!!

heeheehee - I do enjoy the little things!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Hmmm.

I dont actually recall saying that, but it is a good idea. smile.gif

However, I feel I must point out that CA stands for CLAN Arena, not One v One Arena.

This aside, I'll play next weekend. I play for fun, not to belittle others. I would rather elevate my status as a Quake player by building on my own talents (or lack thereof), rather than demeaning others.

On a more serious note,

TAAAAAAAKKKKKKKEEEEEE ITTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

CG are the b1tches of DD, and therefore any 4 players who play them (cos DD are crap). This I will gladly prove, anytime. Put CG on a team on CA, and pit them against almost any 4 decent players, and they'll go down like a Loreto girl on her Debs night. smile.gif

Hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think DeV has invented a new game.

Let's call it...

* Cloud-Warrior looks to heaven for inspiration

Rocket Arena!

biggrin.gif

heeheehee

Shot John tongue.gif

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I would just like to point out one thing here.

The Topic title for this thread is 'you're all very big with your mates' which makes it look like Dev was outnumbered by people who are crap without support.

Did you play on the CG team all on your ownio Dev? Did you not have mates? Tut-tut DD and CW, you should know better than to pick on a poor defenseless lone CA player from CG. Or was it that DD and CW played better as teams than CG? Now THAT would be an interesting turn up wouldn't it.. I mean, I thought that it was CLANS challenging each other...

LoLth who loves to point out mistakes in **** stirring attempts and can detect and correct overdoses of testosterone induced hot air at 20 paces...

smile.gif

• Advertisement

oops! I forgot..

Congrats to the DD and CW TEAMS!

are there any screenies or other memorabelia?

[This message has been edited by LoLth (edited 12-04-99).]

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sorry if the title was misleading, it was supposed to be humourous.

I would happily play *clan* arena but as Von has pointed out to me manys a time the game doesnt stand up to the pressure of being played competitively. The tactics used against us were highly successful and the problem is that I think those tactics may be the MOST effective, meaning that both clans should adopt them and you end up with clans sitting in RA or at water waiting for the others to crack and come to them. First ones that do are the losers :/

BTW 1 v 1 CA is different to RA as in CA you can do sneaky things and your experience counts a lot towards placing a rocket in the right place etc. Sound is also a must in CA to hear grunts and crunches whereas I could play RA pretty much deaf with little difference.

Anyone got any ideas how to change CA so that we can play clans games of it? Drop rox to 30 maybe? Or code in a patch like headhunters has to stop people staying in the same area for a long time (it starts hurting you)...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Jaden, One Thing To Say to you

17 - 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Naw 1 v 1 ca is a joke too, I was doing it with koopa the other night, our aim was equally bad, but he was trying out camping in one spot for the entire game...it worked, plain and simple. Play rocket arena...but thats even more machine and ping dependant (and AIM DEPENDANT) than ca.

The ONLY way to make CA viable for serious clan games is to put on rocket arena levels (the bigger ones) where the enemy is always visible and cant hide. Now that would be skillful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

15 - 15 Frogbot Clan Arena was fun on Arena X smile.gif

sounds like an interesting idea tho bunn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

HEY!!!!

Heres an idea!!!

Why don't we stop p!ssing about and play a war?

El

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

Thats the difference betwwen CA and wars, u dont ever have to leave an area, u spawn with all the weapons and all the health u can get so there is no point to go looking for people, the obvious tactic is to camp one spot and wait for them to come to you, i dont know if lowering rockets would help, it would stop spamming but it wouldnt stop camping. CA is just fun when there are no tactics used (apart from herding of course) and you just go out and kill things, even then wars and duels are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Yeah in ca you should have 16-20 rockets, enough to kill everyone on the other team (if your aim was perfect) but doesnt leave it open to spam...people would have to use other weapons then..lg, dbsg etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Yah i agree with Bunny there, let all the sammers run round with axes I say smile.gif

Yeah Dev, I see your point (BTW my reply was supposed to be humorous as well smile.gif ).

Personally I like CA. In CA I play a sneaky *******. I shoot, move, wait , shoot move etc. The 'stay-in-one-place and it starts to hurt is a good idea though. CA shouldn't be camping, it should be tactics. If you're outnumbered, play smart, play sneaky. If you outnumber them, HUNT! Use tactics to locate them and kill them.

As for the solution to camping, new maps, anti camping maps. I know DM2 has camping areas but it WAS fun! Anyone out there write a CA map or know of a good one?

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

osi dont go into the 100 h pit if u dont want to be spammed simple as that besides if your good enuf u should be able to rj out without being hit duhhh smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

avoiding grenades is **** hard on 150 ping smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

Got to agree with Bunny there, approx 20 rox should be all thats needed.

Also, I can't help thinking that the damage mod promotes spamming.

As for camping, when/if I do it, I almost expect specs/dead ppl to broadcast the fact that I am doing it and where I'm doing it.

LoLth - I've been working on a CA type map, but it's gonna have to wait another 6 weeks-ish till I finish College before it'll see any major work done.

Just reading all that's been said here, I'm gonna have to rethink a lot of the design - it could well lead to spamming / camping in it's current incarnation.

So, with that in mind, I'm thinking of a level with a rather DM3ish feel about it. Looking towards what yould outwardly appear as a kind of big circle with teleports / corridors linking nearly everywhere. I think that maybe 2 entrances at least to nearly everywhere should make it much harder to control a room.

Thoughts?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm 20 roxs would suck bigtime. 60 is needed for rjumping etc. I do throw grens at a door when I'm running away or into the 100H Centre area if I know an nmy is out there.

As for the damage mod causing spammers thats bollix. The damage mod has improved the game imho. It encourages people to get out and fight (or play sneaky in my case smile.gif) and its now rare that you have a player hiding until the end of the game with full health etc to kill the poor ****ers on the other team with no health.

Kharn, put loads of corridors etc in that Map , loads of alternative routes around the gaff, so I can sneak around and use my surprise attack tactics.

Gandalf.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

We were "herded" into the RA area by CG with their relentless suppression fire (spamming at corners and doors). We then waited til we knew where they were and sneaked out to attack from different directions. biggrin.gif Bit dull but effective.

Clan Arena is good for a laugh but it's not really a team game and any attempt at clan matches will just be boring campathons or spamathons. Especially with teamplay 1 on.

A Rocket Arena knockout tournie would be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Guinnessman

YEAAAAA RA tourney would be kewl whwere do i sign up??? smile.gif

That's another thing I don't like.

I reckon that when your dead, you're dead. No comments like 'water' or 'centre'. I know it can be boring when two people end up circling around for ages but that's no reason to ruin it. I don't enjoy winning when someone has told me where the enemy is, it takes all the skill/kuck out of it. As I said, it can be boring but I wait for others to finish, it's common courtesy.

As for rocks. I don't RJ so 20 rocks suits me fine. But 20 would really cut down on the jumping and mobility. Maybe 40?

As for the Damage Mod promoting spamming.. The old method promoted spamming just as much. The damage Mod put an end to the 'You stole my kill!' cry which usually lead to new depths of muppetry. There was a thread that discussed the move from the frag to damage mod. In the end, I think it was decided that it was the best way to go.

J.

Advertisement