Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SoLiD Snake Vs Sam Fisher

Options
  • 22-08-2003 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Rite heres the deal, i want to get either Splinter Cell or MGS: Substance (for Xbox) ive played Splinter Cell before and got to the Oil Rig Level its was pretty kool, But MGS: Substance looks kool the only problem is ive never actually played it i just watched my friends **** around on the first level in the room where the man is giving a speech (heh). So any opinions?

THnX, Storm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Definitely MGS. Splinter Cell is a great game, but MGS is still probably the best console game I've ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

They are both great games but MGS is annoying due to the fact that nearly every 5 mins there's some cinematic sequence or Raiden's girlfriend calling him talking about "What day is it". I prefer Splinter Cell. I hate raiden, should always be snake you control not some punk ass glam rocker!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

I've not play Substance myself, but I was under the impression that you could chose to play as snake for the oil rig part of the game instead of Raiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sam fisher for the simple reason that it more steathly.
    aslso when u re enter a room a room in splinter cell the guards don't reappear.

yeh getting bugged every 5 minutes by stupid cinema sqeuences (sp.) was really annoying

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd go for Splinter Cell. MGS2 is a brilliant game but it is spoiled by silly talking heads cutscenes, being too short and an ending and story that were spoiled by changes due to Sept. 11

Splinter Cell will last you far longer but you will need much more patience to play it properly than with MGS2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

shoulda had a poll!!!

anyway i like mgs, back to my ps1 days it was my fave. i never got into the awkward controls of splinter cell on pc or xbox or playstation 2. the new game looks class dont know what its called its like mgs in tha jungle. it shows you snake eatin raw fish to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

how was the already crappy ending to MGS spoiled by 9-11? The gameplay in MGS is indeed great buy the characters are ****e and it makes less and less sense as it goes on until the headwreckingly rediculus ending, making you not want to play it through ever again. And what's going with ottacon fancying his sister, who turns out to be his daughter? sick! (not a spoiler, you won't care be the time you get that far) good gameplay tho! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

Two great games, but for me the best would be Splinter Cell every time. It's a matter of taste, but for me, the sheer enjoyment and satisfaction you get from scaling a narrow corridor, hiding in the dark and then dropping directly on an enemy just cannot be found in MGS2. The cutscenes are very annoying in MGS2, and the last level ends up looking like a level out of Tekken.

Splinter Cell. In fact, talking about it, I might just load it up again now. I feel like picking a lock or two..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Why even ask?

Solid Snake of course. I dont think Sam Fisher has enough of a personality to even be called a character, let alone a good one.

That new MGS game in the Jungle is called MGS3: The Snake Eater,
    I saw a video of it recently, and from what I can tell, its just a new game using the MGS2 engine, something like VR Missions, or substance. Adds nothing new to the story, AFAIK
    but it is spoiled by silly talking heads cutscenes, being too short and an ending and story that were spoiled by changes due to Sept. 11

You really are an tool arent you?

Anyone Else Agree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

both very good games.. but for me Splinter Cell is the better game... Sam Fisher is a good character and the storyline is pretty good and believable as well...

cant wait for Splinter Cell 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

what's new in the substance addon anyway? VR missions? Only played Sons Of Liberty myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If your lucky you could get both in Virgin for €80

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Yea KdjaC, i just got the both of them for 90 Euro, Im only on the first bit of MGS where u have to take the pictures of the metal Gear, the controls are Wack when u first start, but u get used to them. The Graphics dont compare to Splinter cell really, but ive had fun stuffin people in lockers and holdin people up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 RockViper

Uggh Splinter Cell....it's not that I have anything against the gameplay of the game or anything but personally I'd stay away from anything Tom Clancy. I'm afriad his tired stories of the evil and nasty Russians plotting to destroy the noble and honorable americans just don't do it for me.

And besides MGS2 may be infested with irrelevant cutscenes but that doesnt take away from the excellent characters, blindingly good gameplay and odd but marvellous plot. I mean I know it was REALLY weird around the ending but c'mon you know you all loved it. Would you have preffered it if Solidus and all his cronies died in a boring and predictable way and Snake, Raiden, Otacon, The Colonel and Raiden's girlfriend all went off and lived happily ever after? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by RockViper
    Uggh Splinter Cell....it's not that I have anything against the gameplay of the game or anything but personally I'd stay away from anything Tom Clancy. I'm afriad his tired stories of the evil and nasty Russians plotting to destroy the noble and honorable americans just don't do it for me.
    Hear bloody hear.
    I agree wholeheartedly, personally i am sick to deasth of these pro US of good ol A games where its always the eeeeevil russians, or in splinter cells case, the evil peopel of georgia or whatever the ****ing storyline was, it was all GARBAGE. Utter, utter garbage. MGS might have had a bloody weird story, but it was a very japanese story and at least tried to tell something different other than "The russians are coming! stop the commies with your powerful american bullets!"
    And as for being interrupted every 5 minutes by a cutscene in MGS, i personally find it more frustrating to be interrupted by being killed every 5 minutes in splinter cell.
    Sam fisher? Pfft. He doesnt even have an action hero mullet.
    And yeah, i always choose to be The Axis in Bf1942 aswell..*L*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

So.... Russian people.... aren't all evil?... I'm so disillusioned right now...

Cut scenes r0ck!

But in MGS2 the Russians are the bad people to :confused: . So i dont think u can use that against Splinter Cell really, Plus who doesnt like killing the odd Russian or two?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

story that were spoiled by changes due to Sept. 11

Have a look at the making of DVD that you get free with the game. Kojima admits it. Next time Ryo Hazuki, use your brain before you open your mouth, muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Grow up, kids

I've heard it all now. Political idealism getting in the way of enjoying a good game. It's light entertainment folks, you're not supposed to deck the next russian lounge girl you see just because Sam Fisher might..

• Advertisement

Have a look at the making of DVD that you get free with the game

Well, the last time I watched the Bonus DVD, was the day MGS2 Came out in Ireland, so Its quite a while ago. Perhaps my memorys failing in my old age......

But from what I remember, He/they said they had to remove the Images of WTC Towers from the New York skyline, and thats it.
    Nothing about massive, extensive changes to the storyline.

Your calling me a muppet, then what the **** are you?

You do nothing but moan and talk Shlt on this board.

Use your brain before you open your mouth, actually dont speak at all cause its only gonna be SHlTE anyway :)

Jesus,

you set a great standard for mods. Everybody just calm down. Its a game, no more, no less. Maybe they toned down the violence or terrorism in it because of september 11. I dunno. Be i don't think the two of you should be having a fight on the forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Ryo and Retr0gamer - go on, just give me an excuse to ban the pair of ye. You KNOW how much I'd love to.

FWIW, Kojima made no changes to the storyline of MGS2 due to Sept 11. The change to the ending was that a scene where Arsenal Gear crashes into New York was cut out, so you transition directly from Arsenal Gear itself to the ruins of the city - which confused a lot of people.

Personally, I reckon the gameplay of MGS2 is far better than Splinter Cell, but it's ruined by the interminable codec sequences and rubbish plot. Metal Gear Solid (the original PSone game) remains the best game ever made in this genre.

Ur rite there Shinji and i cant wait for the remake to come out on the GC it should be class, i think its called the twin snakes, but the new Splinter cell is looking good to and it even has xbox live play, kick ass.

They are both great games who offer something different from each other. Snake is a better character then Sam (especially since he is based on snake in escape from NY). But MGS2 is a terrible sequel to a amazing game. the original MGS had everything you needed. Plus i loved the part where you take on Psycho Mantis and have to remove your memory cards.

Thats was a brilliant idea!!

He forget this and get both. You'd get the two of them for 80 on www.play.com. Splinter cell is only £25 and MGS2 is £33 for xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

So tell me now... Do i hurt russian people or what?

Absolutely stupid reason to cut a scene IMO. Surely all the people who play such a game are violent, desensitised people anyway?

u can get MGS2: substance for Xbox in Virgin for E45 so it works out a bit cheaper in virgin but for Splinter cell get it off play cuz its around 35euros while in virigin its 45

Ryo and Retr0gamer - go on, just give me an excuse to ban the pair of ye. You KNOW how much I'd love to.

Ill be good.
    Metal Gear Solid (the original PSone game) remains the best game ever made in this genre.

Quite True, prefer it a lot more than Sons of Liberty.

Just finished Sons of Liberty, damn that story line is ****ed up. Espcially when ur naked runnin around the arsenal hanger, with colonel callin u every 5 seconds saying sum ****e like uve been playing to long dont u have anything else to do (heh i did laugh at that though) But yea the end was ****ed up, wont ruin it for you but it is straight up wack

• Advertisement

sum ****e like uve been playing to long

I found myself agreeing with him. I also found his references to the other 4 Metal Gear games hilarious especially the dodgy translation references.

Advertisement