Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you Fly ur Plane

Options
  • 22-08-2003 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Rite ive heard that flying a plane with a joystick is meant to be easier but i dont know, I always use the keyboard and i am getting on fine with it, So what do you prefer Keyboard or Joystick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Joystick.

Ever since I switched I can't switch back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Mouse and Keyboard suits me just fine.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah joystick, no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

keyboard only > *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Was at lan last night and guy who was meant to bring my joystick didn't so I was stuck on keyboard and mouse.

Tried both keybaord and mouse and standalone keyboard and thouroughly despised it. Joystick allows you to aim so much better and to engage in dogfights so much better too. Plus you _need_ a rudder to control helicopter and slow fly-bys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

is there any particular joystick that is best for this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

Basically, I use mouse + keyboard. I usually finish in 1st or 2nd place when playing any level with planes in it (at least in DC, I'm not as good with the 1942 planes).

W + S control thrust
    Q + Z control pitch (nose up/nose down)
    A + D control roll

Mouse X axis controls rudder
    Mouse Y axis controls pitch

I set my mouse sensitivity to about .5.

You fly using the keyboard, and when you need to fine tune an approach on a target, you use the mouse.

Works nicely for choppers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

when i go home im gonna try the planes and choppers with my steering wheel. that should be interesting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Using the pedals as a rudder is great. Much more realistic. :)

Though, besides them its very hard, very hard indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Mouse + keyboard > joystick tbh :)

mouse2 - accelerate
    mouse4 - deccerate
    w - up
    s - down
    a - rudder left
    d - rudder right
    horizontal axis - roll
    mouse1 - shoot
    spacebar - bomb

This works great in all mods Ive played so far and wont be changing it any time soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Joystick all da way
    Even if i'm not much better at hitting land targets with the planes its certainly a hell of alot more fun with the joystick, better for air to air anyway.........ye need the good ole variable throttle imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Fabre

Joystick aswell, its helicopter in DC I am having a hard time to figure how to fly them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I use the num-pad fer directional and the arrow keys fer power, etc.

The gunships (choppers with lotsa ppl in them) suck.

The smaller choppers (2 ppl) are dead easy to fly, tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by the_syco
    The gunships (choppers with lotsa ppl in them) suck.

The smaller choppers (2 ppl) are dead easy to fly, tho.
    I like flying the Hind (the multi seater), its a bit floaty, but you can circle locations with it very well, my only problem with the Hind is its small load of Missiles, only 8 in total.

The Apache is much easier to do firing runs (charge over the enemy, charge back) however its a bit too heavy to cricle area's, while it is possable, the circle tends to be too tight to get any real accurate firing, however its good for capturing flags while flying, whereas the Hind isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Well, i do gotta love the Blackhawk. When playing a small game [usually on one of the Pacific maps] they can destroy an enemy and gain total arial supremesy.

Two man Blackhawk can be very effective when used with a good pilot and gunner and also good troops who know how to call for support. fly around in a clockwise circle around the island and the gunner will take care of anyone on the ground really......

If any of your troops require assistance they call it in and you just turn that baby around and boom! :)

The onmly thing is you gotta be a good pilot to stay clear of those stingers and RPGs :(

Advertisement